channel level setting question

atom

my system is RB5 RS-3 RC-3 KSW-12 and denon AVR-3801.

but now, i believe i don't enjoy the full ability of my system. cos i have no idea on how to decide my system setting on the channel level.

i read a article said i should set the the input level at 0 db(build-in test sound singal in DB Prologic) andd get a 85db (pink noise)out by a radio shack SPL. but when my denon is 0db input to RB-5, i get a over 90db at listening position. so i have to lower it to -4db input to get a 85db output.

does anyone has the idea, how to set this, how much db i should get from my listening position on all speakers and sub and how much db i should set input to speakers and sub.

is it ok use build-in signal to test or better use a test cd, where i get the test cd?

thanks

cwm36.gif

atom, yea w/ most klipsch & quality amps you'll be too loud for the meter w/ it at 80db & the amp at 0.

so if u can change the overall amp output, there's some room for the settings at 85db. since my fronts are at +3 & my center is +7, obviously i wouldn't wanna

be setting the front at like +7.

i'd just start w/ all channel levels at 0, front left tone, & adjust the amp volume to read it at 85db, then move to the other speaks & adjust them by channel level to 85db.

Atom - Boa's comment is right on - just start with one speaker (like front left), set channel level to 0, then adjust amp volume until you have 85db on the radio shack meter at your listening position. Then do all the other channels to 85db. (By the way, make a note of what the amp is set at for future reference when you are listening. 85db at your seat is the theater reference level -- often too loud for most people, but when you are showing off your system you can set it there and say -- "See, this is the same volume as at the moveeees!.)

I found that the pink noise input signal generated by the Denon did not have as much strength as the signal from a test desk like Avia, coming from the DVD player. Therefore, using the Denon pink noise to set the 85db level caused the system to actually play much louder when I set the amp to the same point and played a DVD, due to the stronger input signal from the DVD. This would only matter if you are trying to watch a movie at the 85db reference level. Most of us just set the volume to where it is comfortable.

Hope this helped more than it confused.

DD