Just Bought LaScala Stages with Twin Woofer Cabs!

TheSoundBroker

I just bought these from E-Bay. They were advertised as LaScala Stage speakers. They have twin bass cabinets per speaker (basically like 1.5 LaScalas) and separate mid/tweet horn cabs. The serial #'s on them are 2167,2198,2679,2680 on the bass cabinets, 2296, and 2298 on the upper freq speakers. Anybody seen this type of setup before? Any idea of the year built and what upgrades are gonna be available?

The cabinets are going to need refinishing (they are painted black) so the plan will be to sand them down to see what is underneath. If they are ply, then I have a cabinet guy who can veneer them. If they are birch, then we'll clear coat them. If they are really hideous, I'll have my cabinet guy duplicate them in Birch.

I figure on building a third matching mid/high section and using it as a center channel...unless I can find a third mono LaScala.

Eventually, the whole setup will go into a new custom theater room we are planning on building. Ought to be fun! 9.gif

post-15024-13819259549696_thumb.jpg

I've never seen this arrangment before, but I guess for commercial applications it could've been done.

Don't know their age...wonder if they're decorator models done in raw birch?

In any event, they ought to sound great in your HT when completed! Good luck on the refinishing job (ought to keep you busy for awhile). Wonder if the bass output with a matching pair of bass bins is any better then with just the one pair...HHMMMMMM!4.gif

Probably the original industrial cabinets. If so they have heavier duty woofers than the standard LaScala models. There were many finishes. This makes an excellent stack as the 3db gain by doubling the woofer area helps balance to the very efficient horn mid/hi pack. Used to use this or double split stack in DJ/portable PA system back in 80's. It would literally 'cut the heads' off the audience on the dance floor. I think we used about 4-6 Crown DC300's with a biamped configuration. They were very portable. My guess is that you're looking at straight plywood, no good veneer underneath. You could rough em up with 60grit sandpaper and gel-coat (fibreglass) if you wanted the rock-n-roll look.

Could I ask what you paid for these and what condition the drivers are in? I'm doing some research on which Klipsch holds their value the best.

Michael

----------------

On 11/28/2004 7:17:39 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Probably the original industrial cabinets. If so they have heavier duty woofers than the standard LaScala models. There were many finishes. This makes an excellent stack as the 3db gain by doubling the woofer area helps balance to the very efficient horn mid/hi pack. Used to use this or double split stack in DJ/portable PA system back in 80's. It would literally 'cut the heads' off the audience on the dance floor. I think we used about 4-6 Crown DC300's with a biamped configuration. They were very portable. My guess is that you're looking at straight plywood, no good veneer underneath. You could rough em up with 60grit sandpaper and gel-coat (fibreglass) if you wanted the rock-n-roll look.

Could I ask what you paid for these and what condition the drivers are in? I'm doing some research on which Klipsch holds their value the best.

Michael

----------------

Haven't recieved them yet, but I paid $1009.99 for the package and the seller claims they are in excellent condition. If they end up being ply, then I'll probably end up sanding them down and painting them with studio smooth black paint since we are going to build them into the new theater. I also thought about sending the cabinets to an auto paint place to have them do a cool black or dark blue laquer on them.

The plan is to have a trio of them with Heresy's in the back, along with a fully kitted out THX Ultra2 package so I can switch back and forth when I am demoing. I'll probably end up biamping them with SS on the bottom and something really sweet and tubey on the top. Should be fun!