Entry level home theater.

skillet2003

Hey guys, I've been on these boards for a while now, but only new to this section. I'm wanting to get my sister and her fiance a wedding present and I know they would really enjoy a home theater. Now the only question is I know of some brands and what not but not in my price range. Since I'm in college I'm running lower on cash and was wanting a system for about 400-450 tops. You guys have any suggestions? Also, the only hands on experience I have had is making my promedia ultras into a home theater setup, cost is about that price I want to say in and I really like it, but does anyone have another suggestion? The bad thing is I probably would have to get everything such as the receiver and speakers. Anyways, thx in advance.

For $400-$500 it's gonna be tight, though there are some Klipsch speakers that can be had for $150-$200/pair (some KG's as an example). If you are looking for a full complement of five speakers, a receiver, and a sub, then you may have to lean towards the LOW end stuff - like the home theater speaker set I saw at Walmart recently - for $38. NOT kidding. My God, at $38 retail, what did the things cost to manufacture? Kidding of course, that is obviously JUNK, but you'll just need to look around. If it is Klipsch you are after, it might be difficult.

Well, probably was not a lot of help, but that is a tight budget. Good luck!

Popbumper

I know you mean well and it's a very cool idea for a wedding present. However, I think you should maybe try and think of a different present to give them. I mean, you could probably find one of those HTIB deals for the money you're talking, but once the newness of the present wears off, they'll know it was done "on the cheap" so to speak. I mean, for me, I'd rather get a quality $100 watch than a cheap $200 knock-off Rolex.

Are there any other brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles/cousins/etc. that would be willing to chip in with you so as to increase your budget? That would be one way for everyone to contribute towards a quality system that your sister and future bro-n-law could grow with.

Sorry for not being more of a help. But believe me, I've been there. You get a really cool idea in your head, then realize that you don't have the funds to pull it off sucessfully. Personally, I believe that if you could round up some folks to chip in and put together a decent starter system, your sister and her future husband will appreciate it. And...the folks that contribute the bucks will like you too for it relieves them of the responsibility of finding a gift!

Good luck! 1.gif

Tom

I had a similar motive a while back, but never actually purchased anything. I did read somewhere, perhaps on AVSForum, that several people liked the Onkyo HT-in-a-box. Also, although name brand does not always guarantee quality, I would possibly go for a Yamaha, as they do make both quality electronics and speakers at higher price points. If you look at any of these HTIB, note that some come with a DVD player and some don't.

I would say go with a pair of some kind of floorstanding or large bookshelf Klipsch Speakers with a 5.1 receiver for upgradeability.

If they'll enjoy home theater, leave it to them to upgrade. Get them some nice used floorstanders that'll play full range and then pick up a Harman Kardon AVR-130 5.1 receiver or something similar. I mention this one because it is know to be very good sounding despite being cheap. Overall, you'll spend ~$400 or so probably if you get older used Klipsch. When they decide to upgrade, they can get a sub, center, and surrounds (probably in that order if not upgrading all at once). Then they'll have a pretty darn decent surround setup.