To "B" or not to "B"... Klipschorn "D"

formica

I am now officially part of the Klipschorn owners club.

----------------

On 12/4/2004 1:08:26 PM Dylanl wrote:

Makes you feel kind of like a kid again in some ways doesn't it? I love the feeling, I am buying my second pair of Khorns now & I am excited as I was the 1st time.

----------------

Yup... love the feeling. I was wondering why you were selling your white ones, thought maybe you hadn't liked the sound.

I got them inside and plugged in for the first time. Everything works 100% and they sound sweet... but they tower over the now seemingly small Cornwalls. I was actually quite surprised by the quantity of bass provided by them since I've read so many posts about the quality and not quantity. So I was expecting them to be leaner than the Cornwalls but richer than the Lascala... but I find they have the best qualities of both.

Unfortunately my living room provides quite a compromised space for them and my sub... as the Khorns are too close to each other and I no longer have a corner for my sub. Another problem is the added on side grills which don't have notches for the baseboard trim, so I can't push them tight up against the wall. It's all temporary, as they will be installed in the HT eventually.

Seeing them unpacked... I can fill in some of the questions I had. Both speakers have some water damage in the veneers at the bottoms... and the tall toe kick hides it. The homemade side grills prevent tight corner placement. All the components are original and work flawlessly. I haven't opened the side hatch yet... but they look like they've never been unscrewed.

I'm decided, and will reveneer them, build correct grills, and upgrade them probably to "B" models. Because they are "D" models, the top plate on the bass bin doesn't extend all the way to the front (3/4" short to accept the high frequency motor board). I'll have to decide if I replace it with a new one... or just add a small extension in the front before reveneering.

Thanks for all the support guys... more questions will eventually come.

Rob

Rob, that overhanging board on th Cs and Bs not the top of the bass bin. It is another piece. On the Cs it is the bottom of the top. On the Bs it is attached to the top of the bass bin under the spacer.

I can post a close-up picture of my Cs if you like, perhaps someone can post a shot of his Bs.

Rick

----------------

On 12/5/2004 8:45:25 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Rob, that overhanging board on th Cs and Bs not the top of the bass bin. It is another piece. On the Cs it is the bottom of the top. On the Bs it is attached to the top of the bass bin under the spacer.

----------------

That is what I was figuring on. My guess is that the "D" model one is smaller than the "C" or "B" to allow the fastening of the motor board... but I haven't measured it yet.

DSC00463.JPG

Even if it's removable, I may actually leave it there just because it's the board with the embossed serial number on it.

Right now, I'm just enjoying the added low-midrange clarity offered by big puppies. I could just imagine what they are capable of if they were properly setup.4.gif

Later...

Rob

post-11489-13819259622944_thumb.jpg

That picture (without the stain) would be what they looked like when they left the factory. Anyone have anymore similar pics? It would be slightly easier to restore them to topless "D" than converting them to another type.

They'd probably have a higher "focal point factor" but a lower "significant-other acceptance factor". Kinda like poverty caps on a muscle car. OTOH, my guess would be the resale value would reflect the SAF.

Later...

Rob.

PS: It's the seller who took those pics... and sent me the dust free of charge. 2.gif

post-11489-13819259623864_thumb.jpg