3 La scala's VS 2 Khorns plus one Lascala

playntheblues

I spent some time with Eric M. on the phone last night and I'm excited about trying a three speaker set up. My questions for the pros here would be...... Wouldn't it be better to have three Lacalas across the front? The mids and tweeter would fire right at your ears. My only hesitation would be how well the bass would augment using a sub? If you could get the bass to blend well (fast enough, and not being directional due to the higher crossover with the La scalas) one would think this would be a superior way to go????

I hate like hell to sell the Khorns but...................Maybe? What do you guys think?

Why not the Khorn as mains and La Scala center????, the Khorns will sound even bigger than the La Scala's despite the fact that they use the same drivers.

Granted three La Scala's across the front would be fabulous, but the Khorn's would certainly be a step up.

" My only hesitation would be how well the bass would augment using a sub?"

With good subs that isn't a problem. I run 3 LaScalas up front with 2 good subs and they work very well together. I'd recommend 2 subs to keep stereo bass. You might miss that (it is perceptible) if you moved from the K'Horns to a single subwoofer with Las.

I wouldn't really worry about selling the K'Horns just yet though... try 3 speakers up front first and see if it is something that you like. You might love it, you might hate it.

Shawn

" the Khorns will sound even bigger than the La Scala's despite the fact that they use the same drivers."

Could you expand on how they sound bigger? I'm not questioning that they do (never compared them back to back at the same position) just curious in how that would be described.

If they make the recording sound more spacious or open that is likely from the better bass response of the K'Horns compared to the Las. Deep stereo bass response (down to around 40hz) can give the playback those attributes (as well as not sounding as if the bass is being reproduced in your head like headphones) if the bass in the recording is in stero. If this is the case the effect of the 'bigger' sounding K'Horns should be recording dependant as many recordings have mono bass. Even in that case the K'Horn should sound somewhat 'bigger' from the increased bass response as that effects the presentation of the soundstage.

This link:

http://www.smr-group.org/pdf/Bass_Enhance_FAQ.pdf

explains some of how stereo bass can influence our perception of spaciousness.

Shawn

Some good points. The only way I believe the Khorns would sound better (bigger) would be due to the stereo bass and the bass being well augmented. In theory the La scalas should sound better due to the mid and tweeters firing right at your ears, as long as you can get the subs to seamlessly blend! I wonder if a pair of the faster SVS subs (which don't go as low as the slower ones) one behind each La scala would do the trick? I'm getting excited again, this could be really kool!

"I wonder if a pair of the faster SVS subs (which don't go as low as the slower ones) one behind each La scala would do the trick?"

The SVS are so light you could put them on top of the Las if desired.

I can't say how well they would blend though as I use much larger critically damped sealed subwoofers.

Shawn

Thanks, it turned out very well. The shorter height of the LaScalas worked out well with the screen size. The screen is actually about 2' off the front wall which is covered in 4" acoustic foam. There is also a mini-split heat pump behind the screen to heat/cool the room as needed.

"Are those Altec drivers in your La Scalas?"

Yes, I converted the Las to two ways using Altec 511Bs and 902-8B drivers. Al K. designed/built his ES600T networks for me with this setup.

Shawn