wood diaphagms??

fyremarble

I recently recieved a catlog in the mail, not a speaker catalog i should mention, and on the inside cover there was this system from JVC, not the best i know. The thing about theese that the catalog seems to take pride in is that the cones are made out of wood, birch wood they mention, but also the cabinents are made out of wood in the picture provided to me i can't see many details like what th surrounds are made of. I don't know if any of you guys or gals have heard speakers where the cones are made out of wood. If so could you tell what it sounded like, i'm curious because its a different material than whats usually used. Thank you in advance.

5.gif12.gif

post-11982-13819259681354_thumb.jpg

I personally have not heard the system, but after reading about it a while back I asked some guys at work and they said they have heard it. Everyone basically said that it was a very warm good sounding speaker.

Though I don't think I'd be a fan of that speaker, I wonder what a wood diaphragm might sound like on a subwoofer...

Fyremarble,

Thanks for posting on this little system. hmmmm

I'd be interested to hear the little rascals and would imagine they would sound fine, but probably not uniquely excellent. I'd think it is mostly a marketing gimmick to draw on one's perception/expectation of warmth from wood.

Remember that paper is made from wood. So how much more fiber would it take added to a paper/wood product cone to call it a wooden cone?

We have them at work.

Build quality is awesome. Better than a Denon 3805 or other mid/hi end component (all metal and real wood!)

Sound quality is very good. I have cranked it up and it sound very good. Warm? Yeah, I'll go with that.

$500 is a bit steep - but you are not getting just a stereo, but a real work of art. Check it out of you need an executive system. I wouldn't personally buy it, but it does have its place.