Erik Mandaville

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erik,

"...I was starting to wonder if I might have a hardware problem/bad interconnect, something like that."

If you can temporarily move your L or R onto the C output that way you can tell if the Lex. is putting out a signal or not. That will help your troubleshoot if it is in the Lex. or something else.

Shawn

P.S. If you don't like waiting for the power on message to complete when you come out of standby you can turn that off (or change it at will) in the Setup -> Lock ->Assign Custom Name to change it or Custom Name OFF to shut it off.

Morning Shawn:

I have a drawer full of 6SN7s, some old some newer. The one that expired last night was part of a quad I got on ebay for really cheap. They were not the 'best' I've had, but worked.

Maybe that 'tearing my head off' description was a little strong, but when the center channel gave it's test tone, the blast from the Lowther was so loud it sent my dogs running with their tails tucked, the SPL's needle slammed into the right side of the meter, and I frantically to turn it back down. Just saying the center channel was extremely loud would have been sufficient, I think. It was just joltingly overpowering!

I spent some time with the PDF format manual you provided, as well as the MC-1 information you sent, and should/hope to get things balanced this evening. As I said, my mind just seems to slowly adapt to this sort of computer-like complexity; what would probably be very easy for some might become more difficult for me than it needs to be. But! I love a challenge, and I am learning as I go -- even though that 'going' might be a little on the slow side at times! What I have begun to realize is that my thinking, understanding, and experience have been so locked up in working with a much older technology that present-day advances in music playback is just leaving me in the dust! Having this opportunity to try to catch up a bit has already been rewarding in terms of sound, but even more beneficial because I'm learning something new!

I'll be in touch again later today,

Erik

Erik,

" but when the center channel gave it's test tone, the blast from the Lowther was so loud it sent my dogs running with their tails tucked, the SPL's needle slammed into the right side of the meter, and I frantically to turn it back down. Just saying the center channel was extremely loud would have been sufficient, I think. It was just joltingly overpowering!"

OK, if you don't want it playing that loud again turn on the Lexicon but not your center channel amp.

In the Lex. go into the internal noise test and get to adjusting the Centers volume. Turn it down to -12dB and let it sit there. Now turn on your center amp and you should find the noise is much lower then it was before. Hopefully it will be lower then your L/Rs so that you can turn it up to match.

If you can't turn the center down far enough to match the L/R you have a couple of options, let me know if you run into this problem and I'll give you some suggestions

"But! I love a challenge, and I am learning as I go -"

Sounds good to me. I hope you will be rewarded for the challenge with beautiful music when you get it up and running.

Shawn

The reward has been worth the effort without qualification. Having the ability to fine tune is something I didn't realize I would like so much -- I've never really had these kind of options available. I am NOT altering the original sound into some vague abstraction of its former self -- absolutely not the case. The Lexicon adjustments can be extremely subtle, and provide very helpful alterations that I think would be as appropriately applied to variations in individual hearing as they are to differences in recording quality. That is certainly the case with me, and I think I am now in the position to finally be able to throw out my cardboard ear extenders (sort of an inside joke, I guess...).

After 'hearing' the incredibly black background of the Peach, I was worried the Lexicon not going to be able to perform similarly. The truth is that both are just plain dead-quiet, even with the big Klipschorns. My Lowthers have always been just a bit on the hectic side, and there is just a little more non-music background stuff going on with my ear right up to the (crossoverless) driver. However, the Lowther is the one element that seems to stand out as possibly needing some more adjustment. The character is a little different from the Klipschorns, and the Lexicon seems to have made that fact more obvious than did the minibox.

I feel as if I just tested the digital sea, and have every intention of diving in head-first. If I bump my head on the bottom, guess what option I have? I know how to get back to shore.

Erik