Cornwall Finishes

colterphoto1

Okay gang,

Looks like I'm a go for the CCC_ _ project. What the #eck is that. Custom Cornwall Center. The last two blanks are what I've got to figure out. What will be the finish I use on this Cornwall and my soon to be matching Standard Models.

Brief History. About 15 years ago I buy my first Cornwalls from Indy's local used paper, The Trader. These were totally blown up and had survived a house fire. CWO but really rough shape with veneer edges cracked and missing, the usual dull finish and scratches and stains.

With help from my trusty sidekick, IndyKlipschFan, I realize that RC7, nor KLF-C7 is the right center speaker for my HT, I MUST have a center Cornwall. After numerous Ebay and Forum tries, I never get the deal. Just this week, purchased the components from a set. So we're ready to go.

I'd like to stay somewhat true to a Klipsch veneer/grille combination, kind of like repainting a vintage car in a non-factory color reduces its value. Except I'm NEVER selling these. They will certainly outlast me. So what's the choices.

The ground floor hearth room they're in is 1950's vintage like the ranch stone home. Warm-toned knotty pine paneling on the walls and a 10 wide stone hearth. However it's only 8 foot ceilings and the paneling keeps the room rather dark looking. I'm thinking maybe medium toned maple or cherry finish with a cane or light fabric grille to brighten things up a bit. Just like last page of 12 page 'The Making of a Legend' brochure. I'm also getting 4x RB5's in Cherry which may become the rear surrounds for this system. Your input and sources for materials are welcome here.

Does anyone have old literature or info (hello HDBR) about what has been available over the years or has anyone strayed with good results? Thanks,

Michael

I'm thinking Maple, Cherry or Teak. Teak is probably most expensive, anyone have experience working with, purchasing, or finishing any of the others. I know there is a wide variety of Cherry color tones, and Maple will take about any stain for a variety of looks.

I guess I'd better search for links to other veneering projects or vendors to try to get a better idea of what these would look like. I think I'm definitely sold on either the cane grilles or a material like the black or brown (course weave acoustically transparent fabric, but in a lighter color. In the Klipsch advertisements section, there is a photo with two Corns setting poolside. Do those look like cane or a light fabric. Cane might be to tempting for the kitties, fabric can be repaired.

Michael