Only 2 channel sound with digital coax - PLEASE HELP

malechi

I got my Motorola High-Definition Cable Receiver DCT6200 today and hooked up my Monster Cable Digital Coaxial to my receiver, I set up the input and I only get 2 channel sound. Even on the high def channels that show it's being broadcast in 5.1. WTF?! I'm guessing the input (COAXIAL : TV/DBS) is correct or else I would get no sound at all. The display should read DOLBY DIGITAL but I got PLIIx C on my receiver's display.

Does anyone have an answer?

Update

I swapped the coax with a optical cable and I get the same problem. DVD player uses the optical connection and that works fine in 5.1 and 7.1

Hmmm....bought a Samsung HDTV OTA receiver three days ago, hooked it up using coax for the sound and thought the same thing initially (thatv I only had two channel), until some network programs came in last night in 5.1 surround. Some do, some don't. If your programs are KNOWN to be in 5.1 and it is not coming through, you may have an issue. I get both digital stereo AND/OR 5.1 depending on the source material.

Popbumper

i noticed with my HDTV, when I switch to a movie broadcasting in 1080p on like fox HD or whatever, i get 5.1

for me it's 2 channel with regular tv on the HD signal, but when it kicks into High Def 720 or 1080 the 5.1 kicks in.

My display shows the Dolby Digital logo too, but i guess that doesnt always mean its on.

Sounds like a setting in your receiver is wrong. On a marantz, if you want it to automatically detect, and switch processing, you have to set the receiver to " auto " for that input. If a dolby digital signal is present, then it will show on the receiver. If on the other hand, you want to apply pro-logic II, then I would rotate the mode selector to " dolby pro-logic II ". Sony also has a similar auto decode feature, you might consult your owners manual before double checking that the digital cable box to make certain that it is sending out a dolby digital output ( whether 2.0, or 5.1 ) rather than PCM stereo.

I have never tried out a denon, so I am just grasping at straws. But first check the mode on your Denon receiver, and also check to make sure that the cable box is sending a dolby digital signal, rather than pcm.

Attached is a copy of the Owner's Manual for a Motorola DCT-5100 Hi-Def Digital Cable box.

On page 17 it states that the Channel 3 or 4 coaxial connection does not carry any stereo audio for digtal channels. On that same page (17) it also states that the SPDIF coaxial connections are to be used to pass Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround for programs with digital content. Both, the Coaxial and Optical SPDIF are supposed to work similarly.

I hope this helps, but it seems as though you may have already tried this type of connection.

dct-5100.pdf

Thank you to all who replied

I did some searching on the internet and found a post from a guy that works at Comcast. I had to make some adjustments in the Audio menu and now I get 5.1 when I should. Thanks again.

Also, if anyone has this Motorola HD box, you can set the normal cable signal to broadcast in 480p instead of 480i if you didn't know.