KLF-10 vs. RF3, RB5 etc....

joeybean

I can purchase a pair of KLF-10s brand new, dirt cheap etc. and have been thinking about a possible purchase of either RF3s or RB5s as an option. They will be my front mains as part of a HT system (all klipsch now!!!) I understand that they are not video shielded, but with a fix from a Klipsch tech, I might be able to get around that problem. A future purchase will be a Sony XBR, likely Hi Def 36incher. Will the non shielded speakers be a problem?? I have listened to all three and am satisfied with the sound of all of them!!cwm32.gif Can ANYONE help me spend some money wisely??? Any advice will be well appreciated, esp from those who own or have just gone thru the same dillemacwm3.gif Which one of the three speakers would get your vote??Thanks in advance!!!!

Well, I am biased, (I have the RB5), and would recommend them highly. I like the fact that you can buy speaker stands for them and place them at the correct height, and toe them in exactly like they need to be. With a good sub they sound great. The other speakers may play louder, but I love the accuracy of the RB5's. Also, they look good and blend in well with the room - not huge and overpowering like the big towers.

Good luck!

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)

Denon AVR 3802 RCVR

Denon DVM 1800 DVD

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 - L&R

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub

Monster Power Conditioner

Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects

Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable

joey, yea the klf towers are not shielded as are the rf-3 & rb-5. my klf-30 distorted the pic on my poor sony trinitron, but they are real close, & i put bucking magnets on all the driver magnets which completely fixed the problem (if i had it to do over, i'd have a service person do it - that epoxy glue stinks Biggrin.gif).

anyway, i have the klf & rf-3, rc-3. they have their differences but i really like 'em all for my applications. never have heard the rb-5 as i just gravitated toward the towers for the bass. though w/ a

good sub & most receivers thx guided cut-offs in their bass managements, the rb-5 could be the better choice.

do u already have a klipsch center & surrounds?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Boa,

I do have an SC1 center, as well as Klipsch surrounds. I guess I dont want to miss a good buying opportunity for what seems to be an excellent speaker, shielded or not!!! Did ya get the bucking magnets from Klipsch?? Hard to install other than the bad smell of the epoxy? What the heck are they anyway, and how do they work?? Thanks for the info!!cwm41.gif

joey, actually it was made much more difficult because i had to file out the tweeter horn holes in the cabinets because the bucking magnets on the tweeter magnets wouldn't fit back in without doing that.

i did get 'em from klipsch parts. roughly $20/woofer &

$7/tweeter. u may also need shielding cups though i didn't. u may want to check w/ trey cannon in tech support at 1-800-klipsch.

definitely listen to those speaks at your klipsch dealer if u can before making any decision. i prefer the klf in the main room for HT & for rock music in 5 channel stereo mode. like the rf-3 in the lounge for more detailed stereo music listenin. but all our tastes & prefs are different.

also keep in mind that for the best timbre, voice matching you'll probably want better matching center & surround speaks for your mains.

this hobby ain't cheap. cwm35.gif