Dynavector cartridges

fini

Thanks for the offer, but I've been offered a used Ruby (about 100 hours), and neither of us know what it's worth. Perhaps it ain't so high-fallutin'? I am pretty sure it's a LOMC though.

When you say ruby do you mean this one?

Dynavector 10X4 (red body) -$350.00 -this is a high output MC and has an elliptical stylus.I'm sure you have heard that Dynavector cartridges have a "signature sound".This is a fact,but that sound happens to be a very detailed,almost bright, upper midrange and lower treble.This sound seems to make vocals seem more forward and present.I don't think the sound has a "hump" in the midrange as some have complained.I wouldn't exactly called the sound balanced but if you like the vocals right in your face,this is your rig.The bass is fast and impactful and never seems bloated or out of control.This is true multi-note bass.Treble is a bit on the hairy side and recordings that are already bright will sound painful.This cartridge makes bland recordings come to life.the soundstage is wide and deep.This cartridge was easy to set-up and was very quiet.It tracks best of any cartridge I have yet used.I own this cartridge.

Picked it up from http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22809

I believe the cart your talking about was called the Karat (or was it Karat Ruby) and was one of Dynavectors better LOMC carts back in the 80's. I think it retailed for $750-850 and was well-thought of because of its synthetic ruby cantilever. Other manufacturers' carts with ruby cantilevers were considered very "hi-end" and were priced in the thousands so the Karat was considered a bargain. The Karat had good info extraction - very detailed, excellent high frequency and pretty good bass extraction. I recall that it was not very compliant so it isn't the best option for uni-pivot designs and its relatively low output often requires at step-up transformer. I've seen ones with a few hundred hours offered on the net for $300 give or take. Hope it helps -Bryan

Thanks, guys. I haven't seen this one, but I do know it hasn't been used in about 12 years. Max, reading those reviews, I wonder how the Khorns would treat this cartridge?

Bryan,

How well do you think it would mate with the SME 3009 SII improved?

----------------

On 12/7/2004 9:31:54 AM fini wrote:

Thanks, guys. I haven't seen this one, but I do know it hasn't been used in about 12 years. Max, reading those reviews, I wonder how the Khorns would treat this cartridge?

Bryan,

How well do you think it would mate with the SME 3009 SII improved?

----------------

This Dynavector will be a vast improvement over what you are using now and while not the IDEAL cartridge for your SME it will work just fine . . .

Fini,

I now think the one I found is NOT the one you are talking about. The review I posted refers to "the original Ruby cartridge" which, I guess is the one you have been offered.

Do you have any idea of its age? I get the feeling it is some time since the Ruby stopped production. I will check out the Dynavector Site given a moment and if there is one...

Goink! The seller made a mistake! He must have a bad memory, like me. Turns out the cartridge is an Audioquest 404, with about 40 hours on it (uh, as he remembers2.gif ). Well, I wouldn't need a step-up, as it's a HOMC. Vintage unit, I'd guess. Hmm?