BIX or VPI Scout or Linn LP12??

robster

Rob,

You've been making some moves lately. Good for you. I am not familiar with the Bix, other than having run across it briefly while looking for info on something else. The Scout and LP12 are very different animals. I own the Scout, though have had little chance to really get in depth with it due to an equipment issue. I have no direct experience with the Linn, but some folks that I can relate to aesthetically are quite experienced in that regard.

the ownership experience would be quite different. The Linn would require more attention to keep its suspension adjusted, as it is reported to be sensitive even to mild climate change. This is no minor consideration. It takes a certain personality to deal with that. I know that after a 12 hour day of retail, the last thing I want is to come home to is a turntable that sounded great yesterday, but sounds average tonight, just because a cold front came through. (I type this as 50-60mph winds blow through my yard, BTW.) The overall presentation would be quite different as well.

Others will hopefully chime in, but do a search in 2-ch on LP12 and you'll get the gist of that deck. mobile homeless has been around the block a few times with the Linn, as has artto. They both use and enjoy other machines, so they are not the stereotypical die-hard "Linny". There are others that are active members that have recently gone the Scout route, and a few that have had it a while. It is a very nice machine, and it's hard to argue with the commonly held notion that it's one of the best values in audio.

Perhaps a brief clue as to your goals is in order, to help us all point you in the right direction. Give us some insight as to what moves you in music. Describe some examples of moments in your recent upgrades that have been rewarding and why. You'll have no shortage of opinions offered, hopefully.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

I found a used Scout for $1150. I'll probably buy it. I listen to all types of music and will be using it with a restored Bizzy Bee Fisher 400 X tube receiver with Forte's. Is the Scout table,since it's not a suspension table,more prone to vibrations like when I walk by in my listening room?

I currently have my AR table,a suspension table,on a very heavy entertainment center table and have no problems with shaking when I walk by it,the floor is carpeted.

Also any cartridge suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need a cart with 4mV output or higher for my Fisher.I'm currently using a super Ortofon OM-20 MC cart that has a 4mV out put and it works fine. Would the Ortofon be a fair match for the Scout?

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Robert