KSW 300 Sub v. Paradigm v. KSW15

pmburnett

Texts>Textc>Guys, I have some questions about subs. I have a KSW 300, and I want to know how it compares to the new KSW15, the Paradigm subs and any other sub under $1000. My impression is that the KSW300 is a better sub than the KSW15. Am I wrong about this. I'm especially interested in how the KSW300 compares to the Paradigm 2200 and the PSB subsonic 7. Any takers?

PMB

I've heard both the KSW 300 and the KSW 15 and I think the 300 was a lot better. Never heard the Paradigm, but If you got a $1000 budget do yourself a favor and check out www.svsubwoofers.com

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

The Paradigm pw2200 is much more of a beast than either of these two Klipsch subs. The pw2200 is more on par with the good Velodyne and M&K subs. I've owned three subs, one Klipsch (SW12) and two M&K (MX90 and MX200) and the Paradigm is better than all of them. I own a pw2200 and each time I listen to it it is better than the last. All of the talk about SVS is...hmm...woops, I better not say that in this post. Paradigm has been around for many years and there is a reason they have received the awards over the years. Listen and be sure to bring your drool cup.

------------------

James D. Orth

• Like 1

I have owned 2 Klipsch LF 10's, 1 Velodyne HGS 12 and I currently own a Paradigm PW 2200. Out of the 3 subs you have listed, I choose the PW 2200. I actully have a print out with some specs (but I can't find it right now???) anyway the PW2200 is very near the top of that list in performance. I can say that the PW 2200 has very good music performance and SUPERB movie performance. I picked the Paradigm over an SVS myself only because my local dealer MIS-QUOTED me at $599. How could I not buy it at that price?

Although SVS is a newer company I wouldn't overlook them by anymeans. The Paradigm is great but I still want even more.

My two subs of choice would be a VELODYNE HGS 18 $2500ish and an SVS CS-ULTRA w/1000 watt amp $1575 delivered. That is if money wasn't a big consideration.

I've been tempted by some very attractive prices on ebay for new KSW15 subs. But they seem to get mixed reviews on the klipsch BB. At under $500. apiece (ebay price) though, I'm thinkin' a pair might help my k-horns out below 50hz.

Is the paradigm 2200 about like their Reference Servo 15? What are the differences? And specifically, what is wrong with the KSW15 for music?

------------------

JDMcCall

We'll orthj, I'm not going to bad mouth Paradigm as I said before I've never heard one but I've read a lot of great reviews about the 2200. I just don't understand your comment or lack of towards SVS, apparently you've never heard one or read the reviews at audioreview.com or hometheaterforum.com. These are outstanding subs!! Buy one compare it to your 2200 and If you don't like It you have a 45day money back guarantee.

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

• 1 month later...

I see more sub talk,great just what I need.While the Paradigm PW2200 is a good sub for about $700 there are better subs out there,may I say way better.

And yes the tube subs from HSU and SVS come to mind,I would opt for a single SVS Ultra unit with a solid external amp.

I will get a pair of Ultras with no amp since I have a spare Carver TFM-75 amp! He he the TFM-75 can deliver a 1000W RMS per channel(its a dual mono design). Smile.gif

The Revel B15 is also superior to any Paradigm,including the Servo-15.And I speak from experience here.I has the PW2200 and the Servo-15 AT HOME and tested them with HT and music,from low to extreme volumes.

The Velodyne HGS15 and 18 have big output and dig deep but lack a bit in definition.Definition the Ultra,Aerial and Revel have.

Then you have the Sunfire Signature,huge output and bess down to below 20Hz.Needs to be cut below 60Hz to give its best.

And lest hope the RSW series from Klipsch will deliver better performance then the LF series.And again belive this or not I had the LF-10 sub for over a week and it was broken in at the store.Guess what the unit amp did clip on my pipe organ test and an air leak plagued the unit!After my tests I found the voice coil was in contact with the magnetic structure! DOH

I trust Klipsch can design a great sub,the LF series was a bit of a lemon.The RSW looks to be a hit.

Come on Klipsch September 10 when I log on after work I want to see some RSW specs.

> specifically, what is wrong with the KSW15 for music?

I owned a KSW-12 until a few months ago. For the price, it's a great HT sub. It's not in the class of more expensive subs, but it's *not* a more expensive sub. Between the KSW-12 and the KSW-15, I found the 12 was much better for music. The 15 rocks for HT, but I found it a bit too boomy for music.

I moved to a Paradigm PW-2200 from the KSW-12, and it was like night and day. The 2200 is a great sub. True, the SVS subs have great reviews, but I've never heard one. The 2200 even worked pretty darn well with my LaScalas. I just moved from the 2200 to the Servo-15. The Servo doesn't seem to put out *more* bass, but it's tighter and meshes better with my speakers.

In the $400 market, the KSW-12 is a good sub. In fact, it's really good for HT use. In the under-$1000 market, the 2200 is tough to beat for either music or HT. Of course, when I hear the RSW-10 (for just under a grand) I may change my mind...

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

theear is here w/ a sudden rush of omnipresence. Biggrin.gif welcome fellow bass lover!

i haven't heard an svs either, nor a revel nor aerial yet. but 1 of my favorite things on my velo hgs-18, besides it's high spl, extension & low distortion, is it's pitch definition on music. it can more than handle things all the way up to 80hz though that'll change when i get the new preamp w/ an adjustable crossover.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Thanks for the welcome Boa.I registered and did not even post here. Frown.gif By now I would have a healthy 3000 posts,as I am a heavy duty poster!

Well I ended up on the Neoseeker audio forum.Not many audiophiles there,just a couple of die hard ones.

You will see more from TheEAR(s)here trust me. Smile.gif

Yes the Velodyne HGS18 is a beast,its king of low,has BIG output and can even serve if cut very low(40Hz)as a music sub.

I did listen to this great sub at home,I also had the HGS12.I ended up buying the Revel B15,as much output as the HGS18.For music the Revel takes the win,and foor HT its a tie.Both will shake the house and scare the roaches away! Smile.gif

SVS makes great subs no doubt,but Aerial Avoustics makes the SW12 and its as musical and clean as the SVS Ultra.The bad thing it costs 5 grand,and has less output then a pair of SVS Ultras that go for $3000 with the amp!So I would say the SVS Ultra is a High-End bargain.

TheEAR(s) Now theears