The News..

maxg

Actually a load of unrelated bits some of which might be on interest to someone:

GENERAL

1. HDDVD V. Blu-ray

I see Sony has won the backing of Disney for Blu Ray and has something like 50% of the hi-res DVD market sown up already in terms of Hollywood's movie output. Wouldn't it be nice if this coming format war could be won and lost BEFORE the units come out and we part with hard earned cash for units that will die in the market.

2. 384/24 audio?

When I was at the high end show in November one of the rooms had a Mark Levinson CD player (I think) that flashed up 384/24 output whenever a disk was inserted and started to play. What is that all about? When did we go past 192/24? Was I sleeping and missed it? I guess - at least for the cd's inserted it is upsampling to that level - on the fly? Impressive aint it.

PERSONAL

1. I finally figured out a way to pipe the video cassette player into the bedroom as well as into the living room. That means that either DVD player, the satellite receiver and the video player can be played into either room whilst any of the other sources are being watched in the other. Was that last sentence intelligible? Bascially I can watch anything anywhere.

The cabling in the living room to be able to do this is mind boggling - but it does mean that I have only run 3 RCA cables into the bedroom - which is not too bad.

If I ever to a degree in engineering I think I will make this system my thesis!

2. I also got the home network setup properly - with disk sharing between the desktop computer in the living room and the portable computer in the office. Just in the nick of time too. Last night SWMBO was watching some show in the bedroom, I was watching football in the living room - and Chuckie got to watch a DIVX movie (Tigger's Big Adventure I think) on the portable in the office from a file on the hard disk of the desktop.

The speakers on the portable computer (an HP) are horrible - I might spring for a pair of these new klipsch computer speakers they are pushing for $99.

3. Just to add to the cabling confusion in the living room I found a USB TV tuner device thing that I bought years ago and never used. I have managed to split the output from the source selector box and run an RCA into that too - so I can watch TV in a small window whilst working on the computer and using the TV as a monitor - which is rather weird when you think about it.

The only thing remaining to be done is to get another RCA to Din plug cable to run a spare output from the Pre-amp back into the Soundblaster Audigy USB soundcard. That will let me rip any of the sources onto the computer at upto 96/24. Might have another go with vinyl on that when I get the chance - the last go was not very successful!

Well that's about it. It is somewhat odd to run a high speed network and digital spagetti around, over and below a tube amp and tube pre, carefully bypassing the TT. The anachronism I live I suppose.

" The speakers on the portable computer (an HP) are horrible - I might spring for a pair of these new klipsch computer speakers they are pushing for $99."

Well, Max, they do advertise "free shipping"!

Fini,

I doubt they mean free shipping to Greece - if they do how about getting them albums down to Hope?

Mark,

Yup - its an option - but one with a cost - everything used to date is stuff I have lying around - it is part of the joy of the thing. The hub cost something like $15 and has 5 100 Mbit ports. The cables I had already.

Anyone doing wireless interconnects (patch cords) yet?