installation on ceiling speaker

satmantx

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 12/10/2004 6:15:46 PM satmantx wrote:

Are there installation instructions available for the klipsch r5800c speakers somewhere? pretty poor install instructions in box. Thanks

satmantx

----------------

Not quite sure what you need.

There should be a cut sheet that estimates the hold size needed, use it to trace and cut the hole (never quite the right size), see if it fits, cut additionally until it does fit snugly, screw the only two screws in (which sandwich the mounting arm and speaker housing together between the ceiling), press the grill into place and voila. Instant ceiling music 1.gif

Ceiling mounting is great and visually more pleasing than sidewall. Mount the speakers in the ceiling non-equidistant from the two nearby walls. This will help avoid boominess.

In the cavity you cut, take silicone caulking inside the speaker 'cabinet' and glue the drywall to the ceiling joist to avoid rattles. If drywall was installed with nails, they may pop due to vibrations, if this happens, drive some drywall screws in and re-mud. Before installing speaker, if this is between floors, wad or roll up fibreglass insulation and stuff in each side of the cavity, limiting the travel of sound vibrations to the immediate area, not to adjacent rooms, this will give the woofer a smaller 'cabinet' and tighten up the sound a bit.

The swivel for the tweeters should aim towards your listening sweet spot. Since most 5.1+ sound is fairly directional nowdays, I would avoid the Blo$e reflecting effect. Set your bass management to 'small' for these speakers. Mix a nice cocktail and relax.

Michael

----------------

On 12/30/2004 9:42:39 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

The swivel for the tweeters should aim towards your listening sweet spot. Since most 5.1+ sound is fairly directional nowdays, I would avoid the Blo$e reflecting effect. .

Michael

----------------

Actually, I heard from my dealer that evidence indicates the tweeter swivel direction has little effect on the sound generated. He said point it where you want, but it won't make a big difference since the dispersion cone is too wide to matter regarding rear effect. Sounds sensible. Mine is pointed toward the sweet spot anyway, just fyi.

The dealer is probably the worst person to obtain audio knowledge from. First of all, the dealer is a business man. His background and education is in business and in making sales (if he even has a degree). There are no real degrees in the audio world and in most cases the dealer has just enough audio background to sound like he knows what he's talking about. The dealer's source of knowledge is magazines and the other dealers that trained him. I only bring this up because I cringe when I hear other people talk about what the dealer told them as fact.

Anyways, I'm not trying to discredit your dealer and in fact there is probably some truth behind his claim. I'm not sure how much of an angle the tweeter on the speaker is and how far it can swivel and all that so I'm in no position to refute it. I personally would play around with the swivel myself to see if I hear any difference in sound because what really matters is what you hear. However, I don't know why Klipsch would put on a swivel if they didn't feel there were any sonic benefits.

Okay, how bout this? It is critical where NOT to point the tweeter at. Like the general directions to keep the sound from horns OFF THE WALLS to get more direct sound vs early reflections (the anti-blo$e principle), aim the tweeter more towards the living space and less towards any nearby walls for a HT-setup.

Conversly, in my brothers house, where ceiling speakers are not used for HT, just general whole-house music listening, I purposely aimed the tweeters towards walls to AVOID directionality.

The above advice is given with the assumption that most ceiling speaker installations take place in normal size residential rooms where the speakers are generally on the ceiling somewhat near walls, not in the center of the room.

Michael

I would have to disagree with Dr. Who regarding knowledge and sales staff, at least in Rochester.

The dedicated Audio/Video stores that we have are staffed by people that have an average of 8 years in the business.

The store, Rowe Audio and Video, that handles Klipsch and McIntosh, has Clerks with 30 + years, 18 + years, etc.. They can also perform a custom installation.

There is not much turnover in staff. And the staff pride themselves in knowing the product, how it stacks against other brands, failure rate in general, etc..

It is a sorry point where you can have 1 or 2 cities that have poor knowledge.

But a business background is not indicative of poor technical knowledge. Nor is it an indication of only wanting profits.

From a business standpoint, I would want employees that I will treat right and turnover would be low. Those employees should know the product inside out so that I would get not only repeat business, but I would also gain a positive word of mouth "advertising."

dodger

Sounds like your experiences are far different from mine 2.gif

(and I've worked a few years in the "professional audio world") 7.gif

I'm not saying that every salesman is bad, but I personally would never accept a claim without hearing it for myself. It's like taking mechanic advice from a used car salesman...

(no, not all used car salesman are bad either, lol).