subwoofer settings

ismail

i have klipsch ksw-10 sub. i have connected sub to my yamaha receiver with linelevel/subpreout.. now problem is

what should be the settings on subwoofer, i mean

i have kept crossover on 40 hz

volume to 8

phase on 180

are these settings correct or wrong?

in receiver settings.. front ....small

center small

rear small

remember i have klipsch quintet satelite speakers.

• Like 1

Your receiver is already filtering the signal to the sub, so you don't want to do it again at the sub. Set the sub crossover to its highest possible setting, or "bypass" if there is one. As it is now, you're generally missing out on any bass between 40hz and whatever crossover point is set in your receiver.

As I think about it, though, unless you can set the crossover in your receiver at 120hz, you might want to hook your speakers up differrently. Reason is that the Quintet speakers are only good downwil to about 120hz. If your receiver is crossing at 80hz, for example, you're missing everything from 80 to 120hz.

If you can't set your receiver crossover up to 120hz, I'd suggest this:

1) Connect your sub's speaker level connections to the front speaker terminals of your receiver.

2) Connect your front speakers to the sub's speaker-level "out" terminals, so the signal for your mains passes through the sub.

3) Set front speakers to large, sub to NO in your receiver setup.

4) Set the crossover on your sub to 120hz.

This will let you hear the entire spectrum of your system.

Does this imply that using the LFE port to send line-level signals to a sub -- regardless of 5.1 or old school analog Dolby Pro Logic -- results in a filtered signal for amplification? And, as such, I should raise my crossover point as high as it will go on the subwoofer's panel to avoid cross-purpose slopes? What if I'm playing a CD?

FYI: My subs are fed by the line-level LFE port on my Yamaha receiver. If this signal is already sloped I'll just bypass the settings on the subwoofer.

Thanks!

My owner's manual did specify a frequency (200 Hz) under analog Pro Logic for the LFE output, but it is way too high for a subwoofer setting without adding mud. (Under 5.1, the receiver defaults to 80Hz as the LFE pass.) As such, I set the subwoofer crossover to 80 Hz (at the sub) for regular Pro Logic TV and things seem to sound fine when listening to 5.1 DVDs as the receiver and subwoofer crossovers do not interfere.

Thanks!