Heresy II Upgrade Questions

soulpianoman

I am in the midst of upgrading my HII crossovers and have a couple quick questions for anyone who can answer.

1. I want to take these X-overs off the PCB and wire point to point and was wondering what gauge wire and/or brand one might recommend.

2. I know the inductors I need are 2.5mh and .15mh - Is there anyone who wouldn't mind pointing me to specifically which inductors I should use(There were so many choices on the Solen site with similar ratings I'm not sure which ones to pick. Open to other brands as well.)

Thanks so much - this has been an incredibly informative and helpful forum for me.

Wire: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/620/675.pdf

2.5mH: http://www.madisound.com/steellaminate.html

Or,

Solen, part # L102.4 (2.4 mH .26 DCR)

I don't know if there is a DCR difference between the 2.5mH inductor used in the Heresy II, and the 2.5mH inductor used in all of the other Heritage speakers. All of the schematics show "2.5mH", but I don't know if they are wound the same. The DCR of stock 2.5mH inductor used in the other networks is .2. Measure it with a multimeter (set to ohms), and then pick the one that is the closest.

Same with the .16mH. Choose the inductor that gets the closest in both inductance and DCR. If that .16mH was in series with the tweeter I would say to go with Litz, but it's not. I would just use a standard air core.

Edit: Which thread? I'd like to see. Thanks.

Thank you very much, Dean. I took your earlier advice and ordered Auricaps. I'll try and match inductance and DCR. Just measure the DCR of the old inductors or are those values listed somewhere? Dflip edited a post by another user by identifying the gauge of the two Solen inductors listed in this thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=25922&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={66378CD7-5705-4083-A905-E291E849A29A}

Thanks for that wire link -what gauge would you use? I recently made speaker cables out of plenum rated Cat5 and apparently the teflon was better for that application - same with this usage?

Thanks for the link. Interesting.

I had to go back and edit my post. Somehow, I had managed to lose part of it.

Malcom mentioned .4 on that inductor, and it makes me wonder if he remembered to subtract out the resistance of his leads. Some multimeters account for it, some don't. The way to find out is to set your multimeter to ohms, and then touch the leads together. If it reads zero, than you can use the straight reading. If something else, you have to subtract it off the reading.

Please post what you find on those inductors. It would be interesting to me to find that Klipsch is using the same 2.5mH on all these speakers since I'm sure the Thiel Parameters are undoubtably different.

I wouldn't get too weirded out about what wire to use between the network and the drivers. Consider that the wires are connecting to parts on either end (caps & voice coil) typically at 20 gauge. I would use the Belden 16 gauge wire from that page (first line I believe).

D