marantz 5200 & sony dvd600

sologemini

Just bought both of them.

I connected them with one optical cable and hoped it work for both CD music and DVD soundtrack. In the marantz setup menu i can assign the digital input from the player to either CD or DVD but never both. It looks like marantz can take two different signals from one input, I just have to do the setup everytime. Is there a way to do both with one digital connection or I have to get another coax digital cable and connect them individually.

(I use Klipsch synergy 3.1 speakers, they sound awesome.)

why don't you play either cd or dvd on the SAME input on the marantz?? avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

NEW! sony playstation 2!

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

that's my problem!

I CAN do that. I just have to do the marantz setup everytime I change from CD to DVD or visa versa.

Basicaly, marantz can't use the same input automaticaly. I have to tell it what it is. The only way to tell it is to run the OSD setup. In OSD I assign CD to digi1 input (the connector I use to connect the sony player.)then DVD is empty. I assign DVD to digi1 then CD is empty. I can't marantz know CD and DVD are the same player.

I think what avman is saying is that you don't need to change the assignments on the Marantz from CD to DVD when you are using the same input device for both functions. Simply designate the DVD/CD player as DVD on your Marantz. When you want to play CDs, just pop them in the player, select DVD as the source on your Marantz, and off you go. On the Marantz, you may need to change the sound mode from DD/DTS to Stereo, but that ought to be a single button on the remote without having to go into the OSD setup.

Another way around this would be to connect the DVD/CD player with two cables. It probably has a coax digital output as well. (BTW< you can use a good quality coax video cable as your coax digital cable and save a bunch of money.) You could plug that into a different input on the Marantz and assign it to CD. If it doesn't also have coax digital output, you could use the analog outputs instead and hook them into CD input on your Marantz. This method might avoid having to change the sound mode on your Marantz. My Denon remembers the sound mode that I last selected for any particular input source, so when I switch to my CD player it goes to stereo or direct mode (or whatever mode it was in last time I played CD's).

Sorry for rambling. As Gil McDermott says, I didn't have time to make it short!

DD

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 08-09-2001 at 11:10 AM