Forte II help

sdfan

I finally got lucky. I was given a pair of forte II by a customer who no longer wanted them. They are in perfect working order,however they need some cosmetic work. They were originally oak but were painted over in black(not that bad of a job). I was wondering if anybody knows if the finish on these is vinyl or veneer. I looked up the info on the website to no avail. I thought I might ask before I go scratching away with a screwdriver to find out. Thanks in advance.

The veneer on my Oak Forte II's is real veneer and fairly thick (compared to current practices). You should be able to CAREFULLY strip and re-finish fairly easily, unless there are some big heavy scratches...

If you haven't done furniture refinishing before, please go to a thrift store and buy a cheap piece of painted furniture to practice on. You don't really want to screw up your Forte's. If you're not comfortable with the process after you practice you can have it done professionally...

Nice drive-by gloat on the price BTW...9.gif

Thanks for the info. I couldn't tell if it was real veneer or the vinyl print variety. The paint that was used didn't adhere that well and is flaking off with the scrape of a fingernail. When I get the time it looks like I have a weekend project. As far as sound, after about 30 mins. of listening, I think I like these better than my beloved klf 20s.