Ten Great Prestige Blowing Sessions!

Allan Songer

We already brought up the Coltrane/Burrell session, but here are ten more GREAT loose blowing sessions on Prestige in no particular order:

B00000JZYD.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg"The Cats" withTommy Flanagan, John Coltrane, Kenny Burrell,

Idres Sulieman, Doug Watkins, Louis Hayes.

B000000YGB.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg"All Mornin' Long" Red Garland, John Coltrane, Donald Byrd,

Art Taylor, George Joyner

B000000YR0.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg"Soul Junction" Red Garland, John Coltrane, Donald Byrd,

Art Taylor, George Joyner (RECORDED AT THE SAME SESSION AS "All Mornin' Long")

B000000Z5F.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg"Bennie Green Blows His Horn" Bennie Green, Charlie Rouse, Paul Chambers, Cliff Smalls, Ossie Johnson, Candido

B000000YPF.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg"All Day Long" Kenny Burrell, Donald Byrd, Frank Foster, Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins, Art Taylor

B000000YVW.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg"Wheelin' & Dealin'" John Coltrane, Frank Wess,Paul Quinicehtte,

Mal Wladron, Doug Watkins, Art Taylor

"Tenor Conclave" John Coltrane, Zoot Sims, Hank Mobley, AL Cohn,

Red Garland, Paul Cambers, Art Taylor

296.jpg

B000000Y5N.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Taylor's Wailers" Art Taylor, Jacke McLean, Charlie Rouse, Ray Bryant, Wendell Marshall

B000000Z51.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg"Outskirts of Town" Art Farmer, Idres Sulieman, Pepper Adams, Jerome Richardson, Ray Bryant, Timy Grimes, Osie Johnson, Jimmy Forest -- and a few more I can't recall!

B000000YED.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg"A Long Drink of the BLues" Jackie Mclean, Curtis Fuller, Webster Young, Gil Coggins, Paul Chambers, Art Taylor, Mal Waldron.

Ehm, bookmarked this one.

In the same vein, I played one side of The Giants of Jazz for my wife and an old friend of hers tonight. I bought it with her in mind, as she is a big fan of Art Blakey's drumming. A live recording, it eschews the frequent method of leader/band dynamic, and instead, these masters play as a true group.

The group consists of Dizzy, Monk, Blakey, Sonny Stitt, Kai Winding, and Al McKibbon on bass. I had to keep the level down, so I can't really say how the recording stacks up as far as the finer points go, but the music is promising.

Even better reaction regarding Bluesnik, led by Jackie McLean, with Freddie Hubbard. I had it on during dinner, and when it was over (good idea to wash one's hands if you're having Meditteranean food before handling le vinyl disque, BTW), they both inquired as to the artist. That's a good sign!

Her friend also commented on Organ Grinder Swing, asking if it was Jimmy Griffin. I replied that as far as I knew, this was the cat. I think the structured stuff gets better reception among the "civilians" than blowing dates. They can be a bit easier to relate to for a lot of people. I did throw in Shine (Dan Lanois), Music of My Mind (Stevie Wonder), and Rubber Soul to keep from being too much work...

Imagine is getting some exposure around here lately, too. "Oh Yoko!" really is a fantastic pop tune. There's so much more to that record than one would think based on the title track alone.