Here we go again - turn left for lunacy....

maxg

So Tony calls at some point in the afternoon complaining that there was no-one at my house and he had had to leave the amp on the front porch.

What amp?

Oh - a Czech amp - homemade (he thinks), tube, not very powerful - didnt want to try it with his 802's, and would I mind....

No further info - useless. Oh it is worth 3000 Euros (in a pigs eye) and it is brilliant (of corurse it is).

So I get home and lo and behold...er....this:

Exterior%20shot.jpg?dc=46755027079776196

Not being one to hold back the first thing I did was whip out a philips screwdriver (I am so technical!) and off comes the lid (I know what we guys want - topless shots!!)

interior%20of%20mystery%20amp%201.jpg?dc

Pretty empty huh - that aint no tube amp - that is a hybrid! I knew this before I read the label that clearly states "Hybrid amp" I hasten to add.

and another shot from the back:

interior%20of%20mystery%20amp%20from%20r

Them is rather big caps isnt dey! And there is 2 of them.

I took other shots but all basically the same. Anyway I connected it up and gave it a whirl. Not bad at all really - nothing dramatic to fault - I dont think I would choose it over what I have - but not bad. A little bass shy methinks - but looking at the PSU that is probably the reason why - I need lots of juice to drive my speakers.

I am guessing something around 60 wpc - it certainly didnt seem to want to clip so I would guess it is in that area - although it does seem to "dry-spot" at times that is not during moments of peak volume - I think there may be something else afoot here.

Basicaly it has an unknown history and Tony is out for the count having been up all night.

Nice play - but now it is back in its plastic bag - I think I will tell him to try it out on the 802's anyway - I dont think it will drive them properly - but it will give him something to do.

Just sharing as ever..