Speaker Wire...

JMH11788

Haha! Yeah I just figured while I was at it, purchasing the new 2.1's I'd get the better cable (Monster Cable) - but after some research about their lawsuits they filed - I don't think I'd like to buy their cables.

But you're right I should have the set sitting in front of me first before I consider making my own speaker wire! lol.

I know it will be a good system, so long as it works. Haven't you seen the reviews? Psh. Everyone loves them (once again, so long as they work lol). But everyone swears that the speaker wire included is not very good. Oh well.

And yes, it was like 3am. lol. What can I say? Heh. I was busy watching The Grateful Dead - The Closing of Winterland DVD that my mother bought for me for Christmas. Ever see it? What an amazing show! They were definitely on that night, I have heard about 5 different versions of each of those songs and I swear the ones from the Closing of Winterland show are some of the best.

Bah, well Merry Christmas everyone! I'm going to go take a shower and eat until I can eat no longer. Muahaha.

- Steven

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/25/2004 1:31:35 PM JMH11788 wrote:

Alright well this thread seemed to get a bit off-topic...I'm still not exactly sure what kind of speaker wire I need to use for the Ultra 5.1's...anyone?

----------------

Ok for most parts the klipsch given speaker wire is absolutely fine it is 18 gauge and they actually tinned the ends to prevent fraying. Do Not Buy Monster Cable. They are cheaply made, inferior, and expensive. Besides that they are suing people left and right for using the name monster. On another note use 16 gauge cable. Any cable will work fine, hell even electrical wiring. I bet you can even use electrical extension cords. Goto home depot or lowes and they can cut to your specific needed length. The 18 gauge is fine, actually its more then enough. The thicker gauge wires are only needed when you exceed a certain length. I believe 18 is 25 feet, 16 is 50 feet, 14 is 75, so forth and so forth

Sorry, off topic again,

I spoke with my father and we're going to follow the tutorial, with all of the materials used in the tutorial. My father says 16 gauge is fine - after all we only need about 10 feet per speaker.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll let you know how our little project turns out!

- Steven

• 2 years later...

Wow, talk about a necropost... lol

I purchased the ProMedia 2.1 THX system after reading reviews and saw this in the Anandtech review...

The investment in the speakers could be improved by also choosing to supplement
its wiring with larger speaker wire. This will only let the system work better,
as the amplifier can then concentrate on driving the speaker, instead of just
trying to push current through the smaller wires.
Information on how to do this,
as well as other interesting discussions regarding the ProMedia line can be
found in the forums on Klipsch's website, www.klipsch.com.
The opportunity to get feedback from technicians as well as other users is a
powerful example of collaboration. Plus, the user input from the forum works
its way into future products.

Is this something you folks would suggest, or is it, as mentioned earlier, only a slight difference that's barely noticable?

Thanks!

HI, I will post my opinion if I may..

From my experience with home audio also car audio for the past 16 years and now 3 years with PC speakers (especially the Klipsch) I know this:

The longer the wire, the thicker it needs to be, (for example) if you are running the Klipsch PMU 5.1's with the stock wire I say is good for maybe 10 feet, for longer distance add the next thickness (like 14 gauge) for maybe 20 feet in length, adding thicker wire helps amps run cooler, and might sound a bit better I say maybe 5% better on the PMU 5.1, the benefit of thick wire is mostly heard with high power audio systems, like car audio or home audio running at 100w or more of power per channel, On my personal setup with my PMU's I use 12 gauge for the front and 14g for the rear and can barely tell the difference in sound from stock wire, but on my home theater setup I use all 12 gauge running on 5 speakers at 120watts RMS per speaker and can really tell the difference there. That fancy Mnster wire sux, is too pricey and cheap quality (now days) it was great back in the 90's but not anymore..Also when purchasing wire (any type) don't be fooled,, look for thickness in copper not thickness in the rubber around it and since copper is expensive, some wire making companies claim is thick wire when the truth is just thick insulating material and copper content is very low.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Elliott[;)]

• 10 months later...

I recently bought a used GMX A-2.1 system for use with my iPod in the kitchen. I want to upgrade the speaker cable, but the stock wire has an single RCA connector on one end (that plugs into the satellite speakers) and two bare wires on the other end.

It appears any new cables need a single RCA connector on one end and pin connectors on the other. Anyone have any idea where to get something like this? Or am I looking at the connectors wrong?