Speaker Wire...

JMH11788

I just ordered the ProMedia Ultra 5.1's and an Audigy2 ZS. I'm eagerly awaiting there arrival. My question is...is the speaker wire included any good? I've read in a few reviews that it wasnt up to par with the system. If this is true, could you recommend me to some high quality speaker wire. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/24/2004 5:21:05 PM craftsman wrote:

Anything thicker than the dental floss provided will be fine. If you are really wanting to spend some money, the Monster set for sale at the Klipsch website is a fine set as well.

----------------

monsters are garbage....

Buy any wire that is 16 gauge or bigger, 14 gauge will barely fit though... Also lowes and homedepot sell pretty good cable prettyy cheap. BTW lamp cord and electric cords are fine.

----------------

On 12/24/2004 6:06:53 PM dodger wrote:

Monsters....Garbage....Breaking

Is that why they're called Monster?

----------------

No they chose monster to sue everyone who dares uses the term "monster" I cannot believe they copyrighted the name monster from everything to food to furniture to tv shows, etc etc

I'm glad someone started a thread about this,

I'm going to be picking up the PM 2.1 package sometime this week.

I was planning on ordering the Monster Cable upgrade kit from this website but if this isn't just a rumor, that Monster Cable is actually suing tv shows, furniture, restaurants, etc. just because they use the name 'monster' - then I do not want to do business with them.

Are there any stores (I know someone mentioned Home Deopt and Lowes?) where I can get some high quality speaker wire for the PM 2.1s? Preferably as good as the Monster Cable kit?

I'm not very handy, nor do I really have any desire - to make some speaker wire myself.

So are there maybe any alternatives to Moster Cable?

- Steven

----------------

On 12/24/2004 7:26:09 PM verso wrote:

12g lamp cord, eh?

But this means I will have to construct the kit myself, right? Using the 12g lamp cord? So this will require soldering and what not?

- Steven

----------------

Nope, no soldering, but if I were you, I'd get a crimper/wire cutter, or else the wire will just slice the hell out of your fingers... All you have to do is get maybe 20' of it, ten foot for each side, and you'll be set.

Hm, no soldering? Will 12g lamp wire work well on a PM 2.1 system?

So how would this work? Go to Home Depot and ask for 12G lamp wire? 20 FT or so? (that sounds about right)...

Cut that in half? Then what? Strip about 3/4 inch on each end? But do I need to split the wire or what? Because doesn't it need to be shaped like a Y to connect to the satellites? So wouldn't I need 4 strands of 12g lamp wire? Two for each satellite?

I know nothing about speakers, heh. But this sounds like something I could figure out I'm sure.

I was reading up about the Monster Cable lawsuits, I'm sorry but I will not purchase anything from them - I don't like the way they do business. 7.gif

Thanks again for all of your help, Rdmarsii! 1.gif

-Steven

EDIT: Ah nevermind, I found a picture of lamp wire on Google (haha) and I see how it would work now! So 12g lamp wire for a PM 2.1 - that should be fine? 1.gif

Headphone plugs, eh? Now how would that work because the lamp wire is like two wires right? So they could be made into a Y.

But if it's a Y, I'm going to end up with two headphone plugs and the PM 2.1 satellites only require one plug - right? And twisting them together might be a bad idea, right?

Headphone plugs are 1/8 inch, I think...I'm sure I could get some real basic headphone plugs that don't require soldering, right?

Sorry for all the questions. Heh.

- Steven

----------------

On 12/24/2004 9:35:06 PM verso wrote:

Headphone plugs, eh? Now how would that work because the lamp wire is like two wires right? So they could be made into a Y.

But if it's a Y, I'm going to end up with two headphone plugs and the PM 2.1 satellites only require one plug - right? And twisting them together might be a bad idea, right?

Headphone plugs are 1/8 inch, I think...I'm sure I could get some real basic headphone plugs that don't require soldering, right?

Sorry for all the questions. Heh.

- Steven

----------------

You wont have to do any soldering. All you'll have to do is pull the casing off the headphone plug, put each wire where it goes, and usually its just two plate's you'll have to crimp together, and you'll be set.

Ah, I saw a tutorial about making your own speaker wire that showed a picture of the headphone plug - and I know what you're talking about now.

But it seems a little complicated, you need to figure out which is positive and which is negative or something, and there was just a whole lot that went into it.

Are there any other brands of speaker wire that are as good as Monster Cable, maybe? And would work with the ProMedia 2.1 system?

Or is it pretty much Monster Cable or on my own? 8.gif

- Steven

Guh, then I guess I'll have to make my own.

I'm just confused about how I would make the speaker wire without sodering, if I remember correctly on the 1/8" headphone plug there are two prongs at the end - but you'd have to solder the wires to them or else I'm not sure how you'd do it.

I wish I could find that tutorial again that showed how to do this. :\