k-77 tweeter questions

elcapitan83

I am assuming you are asking for the dispersion. The T35 family actually has a 'nominal' dispersion of 80 degrees in the horizontal, 30 degrees in the vertical. Dispersion can't be specified without specifying a frequency. In this case, the 80 x 30 is over the main band of operation. Physics dictates it will narrow as frequency increases. That pattern is just fine for corner speakers, which address a 90 degree angle. 180 degrees was wishful thinking on EV's part.

It is most interesting that Klipsch installed the T35, according to manufacturer's spec, only in the vertical Cornwalls. All others have the tweeter installed so that the long axis is horizontal.

In wondering about that, I can only imagine that Mr. Paul determined that the difference in performance was negligible and outweighed the inconvenience this would have made in the factory. If the tweeter was mounted vertically, it would have required a R and L motorboard for every pair of speakers... as seen in the vertical Cornwalls.

Has anyone done any testing on the issue?

I have a tear sheet from EV #1747 on their line of stage monitors and full range stage speakers. Two cabinets contain the T35 tweeter, slanted stage monitors that have the tweeter oriented vertically (long axis upndown) in the port opening. The cabinet would never be operated in the alternate direction. Fm12-2 and FM12-3 wedge monitors were the designations.

The stated tested horizontal dispersion for these cabinets is 75 degrees at 8 kHz with a top response of 16kHz. No vertical dispersion is given. This would seem to confirm the earlier supposition that 180 degrees was wishful thinking. Naturally, due to beaming, the dispersion would fall off considerably at frequencies greater that 8 kHz.

SOmewhere I've got more detailed data sheets on the range of EV raw components. I'll dig it up. it's my recollection that most of the ev horns had better horizontal dispersion when the horn was oriented vertically, contrary to popular thought.

I would think that flush mounting would be absolutely preferred (that's what EV does) over rear mounting to the baffle board. It would greatly reduce edge diffraction.

Also if you take a green magic marker and go around the outside of the tweeter with it, you'll have good luck for seven days (this last part is an attempt at humor- do not try this at home)

Michael

///SOmewhere I've got more detailed data sheets on the range of EV raw components. I'll dig it up. it's my recollection that most of the ev horns had better horizontal dispersion when the horn was oriented vertically, contrary to popular thought.///

I've always wondered about this. Theoretically, the narrower a radiating surface is, the wider the horizontal dispersion. However, the angle of the throat is the controlling factor for dispersion from a horn where the wangelengths are comparable to, or smaller than, to the size of the mouth. EV contended that their 'diffraction' horns used the edge of the mouth (and maybe the 'fins' holding the phase plug?)to 'diffract' the sound wave and make the dispersion wider. On a liquid flow table, this effect is readly seen in an essentially two-dimensional flow through a slot. Whether this works for an acoustic horn, radiating over two octaves into three-dimensional space, is another matter. It's interesting that no one else in the horn biz espoused this. My guess is that it wasn't a matter of patent infringement, but differing philosphies. Altec had their multicells, JBL had their acoustic lenses, and now we have tractrix flares.