Older Hsu sub

I was poring over the info in an old Audio Equipment Directory (1992) and ran across a small ad for Hsu in the back classified section, maybe 2 x 3 ad with info in the HRSW10, which was retailing at the time for $500 a pair. Thought what the heck, flipped to their listing in the directory and stumbled across something I hadn't heard of before, the model HR1BR. Anyone ever heard, or heard of, this unit(s)?

I know nothing of this companies older history, but apparently they were serious about their subs 12 years ago. The HR1BR consisted of 16 individual 18 inch drivers, all in individual enclosures, a listed FR of 10-100 +/- 1, weighed 2400 lbs, and carried a list price of $80,000. 6.gif

Mr. Ear? You heard this setup? Anyone?

Have to take a hell of a large room to be able to use, possible they were commercial only, but I thought it was interesting. The most expensive thing I see on their web site today is under 2,000. I have to guess they didn't sell a lot of the HR1BR setups and concentrated their efforts where they could move some product and make some money. Probably not a bad choice.

Probably. I guess it was more of an FYI for the guys/gals here than wondering about the sound of the system. I was slightly taken aback when I saw they used to have a sub system for that much money, considering where their priorities are now. Not like I was looking for a used set for 90% off retail for myself, which is still $8,000!!

Maybe, maybe not. 11.gif

At the time, the next level down was the HRSW 12, which was 13" Diameter by 6'10 high. If they were using 18 inch drivers, figure a 19-20" tube, maybe 8' high? All they call out in the dimensions are "Sixteen Pieces". I've been in the back of a few Suburbans, and even with the seats out, they aren't gonna hold 16 8' long, 20" diameter tubes.

But they'd sure rock if you could get em in!!