How do the NEW Synergy F-3s stack up with Stereo?

SilverSport

• 1 month later...

Compared briefly to B&W and another cone loudspeaker in the same price range with the same front-end equipment, at Sound Advice/Tweeter and Best Buy, the previous and new entry level Klipsch Synergy series was NOT wildly different from other loudspeakers in the same price range. The Synergy series is NOT a good representation of that the bigger Klipsch horns can do. Only in the Reference series do you start down the musical path less followed.

The higher than average sensitivity might help the Synergy loudspeakers with low power receivers. You certainly could drive them with a hefty vintage 70s receiver ($25-75 at yard sale, $50-125 to refurbish) or refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers.

I only heard the multi-media Klipsch GMX A-2.1 satellites, with their 150-watt sub-woofer, briefly at preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas, but I was very impressed with it for the money. If I was starting out, I might go the compressed PC-MP3-free music route with a universal player and multi-media PC loudspeakers. This is something like I would get for my grown daughter. (But she didnt ask me. Instead, she bought some pretty flat thing, with three blue-lit CDs and tiny, tinny loudspeakers.)

I have NOT directly compared the Klipsch GMX A-2.1 to the Synergy or any other loudspeakers, but I was favorably impressed with what they did, their specs, what they offer and can do with multiple sources for the money.

Best Buy lets you listen to five different loudspeakers with the same source and receiver. That is a great set-up. Why NOT turn down the volume on all the other display systems, pick the type of music you like off the console and then play it on all of the loudspeakers there and decide for yourself? I remember JBL giving some pretty good sound for the money at that price level, while the low cost Sony loudspeakers also had extended frequency response and seemed pretty smooth too.

I think you should let your ears with the system (or two) at your own home - be the judge. Plan on listening to several at home before deciding. Simply buy two, listen to a wide range of music over a few days (weekend), then take one back, buy a third at another place and take another one back, until you have the best of the lot.

I would compare the specs, the wider, deeper and flatter, the better yet the more sensitive and dynamic Klipsch response with horn high-end will probably sound better in the long run.

By the way, I buy heavy, used loudspeakers for nothing at Goodwill, because of their cracked foam or cones. I replace the drivers (no soldering) and get relatively wonderful mid-range and solid upper bass for less than $100!

10.gif