Front-ending an Integrated Amp with a Pre-Amp

dougdrake

For reasons too difficult to explain (and which would bore you to death anyway), I need to know if there are any dangers to connecting a pre-amp's output to the Aux Input of a separate Integrated Amp, each with its own volume control. My intent would be to set the volume of the integrated amp to a fixed level (maybe 50%) and leave it there, and use the volume on the pre-amp to control it.

Something tells me this wouldn't be a problem, but I've been staring at my diagrams and thinking about it so long I need an outside validation. Thanks!

You can quit reading here if you don't care about the reason why ;). I have an SACD player that I want to feed both my Denon AVR/Acurus amp combo as well as my 2-channel tube amp. That way I can use the tube amp for 2-channel SACD/Redbook CD and the Denon/Acurus for multi-channel. I also have a new Outlaw ICBM that I want to use to process any signal from the SACD to route the bass to my subwoofer. My tube amp does not have a subwoofer input/output, naturally, so I need to connect the sub to my Denon.

If I run the entire 6 channels from the ICBM into the Denon, then split the Denon's pre-amp output of the front 2 channels to the tube amp and my Acurus amp, I can use the Denon to feed/control the sub and the tube/Acurus amps and have a single point of volume control. (I use a speaker switch to switch the main speakers between the Acurus amp and the tube amp.) I do not want to connect the sub into the system using speaker level inputs as that would introduce 2 crossover systems into the network - 1 in the ICBM and 1 in the sub. Also, when connected in this way, the Denon passes the SACD signal directly through to its pre-amp outputs without doing any processing other than volume control, so it shouldn't "dirty" the signal too much.