Cornwall v. Cornwall II

Pure Corn

Hello All, and Happy New Year,

Can anyone explain the audible differences between the Cornwall and Cornwall II speaker? I understand the technical differences. I've heard that the Cornwall II is smoother on the high-side, or at least more forgiving.

I am happy with the Cornwalls I have, but could pick up a set of birch IIs locally, in my same zip code even! The IIs are not pretty as my COOs, but would do.

Thanks.

----------------

On 1/1/2005 2:54:06 PM Pure Corn wrote:

Hello All, and Happy New Year,

Can anyone explain the audible differences between the Cornwall and Cornwall II speaker? I understand the technical differences. I've heard that the Cornwall II is smoother on the high-side, or at least more forgiving.

I am happy with the Cornwalls I have, but could pick up a set of birch IIs locally, in my same zip code even! The IIs are not pretty as my COOs, but would do.

Thanks.

----------------

what year are they. if the price is right and they are in your own town. can't get any better than that.

I have 86 CW IIs. I have heard the CW Is over the years, but not done a side by side test. My opinion is that the K-79 used in the CW II is simply a better tweeter than the K-77, smoother and more extended. It also seems to have a slightly broader pattern than the K-77 as used in the CWI, and it doesn't spear the ear as much. It's much harder to compare the midrange. Not much is known about the K-52 mid driver of the CW II, except that it was orginally a Heppner design, not part of the Atlas or EV lines in the family tree of the K-55s. The K-55s have been scrutinized every which-a-way since they are much more numerous. The K-52 seems to have been used in a smaller range of models so less is known. Another thing, and I am not positive on this, I think the CW IIs used a steeper cutoff between drivers, doing a better job of keeping the bass out of the midrange and the mid out of the treble. My bottom line is that I love my CW IIs and want another pair for the back channels of my 5.1 set-up.