Cornwalls - 4 Ohm vs. 8 Ohm

richieb

Well, at lunch today I ran some level tests on my Epics using about 18 sine waves ranging in frequency from 50 hz to 11,500 hz using my Radio Shack analog sound level meter placed stationary, and swapping the positive lead on the Mc2205 from the 4 ohm to 8 ohm autoformer tap. The result?

At every frequency tested, the 8 ohm taps provide on average 2-3 db MORE sound output than the 4 Ohm taps!!! 6.gif I thought the output might change at differing frequencies (impedance varying with frequency). It did... there were some frequencies where the gap was GREATER than 3 db!!!

I don't know why, subjectively, I thought the speakers had slightly higher volume. When I first experimented back in the summer, I played some test track music with one channel at 4 ohms, the other channel at 8 ohms. The 4 ohm side always seemed slightly louder, despite switching speakers, etc.

But obviously, it CAN'T be, my impression was wrong, because 50hz to 11,500 hz covers most of the audible spectrum, and I wasn't testing with tinkling bells and pipe organs!

So, I withdraw my earlier advice. There's no arguing with hard numbers