Basement flooded!

jhawk92

Dude, wet cables? Dry them off (hair dryer the connectors) and let 'em rip. The water will not go under the insulation (although I have some AQ cables myself, I don't feature how that's possible). Salt water is one thing, fresh another. Blow them out, dry them off, let them sit near the heater, etc., BUT don't buy new ones yet!

DM2.gif

----------------

On 1/3/2005 8:17:21 PM D-MAN wrote:

Dude, wet cables? Dry them off (hair dryer the connectors) and let 'em rip. The water will not go under the insulation (although I have some AQ cables myself, I don't feature how that's possible). Salt water is one thing, fresh another. Blow them out, dry them off, let them sit near the heater, etc., BUT don't buy new ones yet!

DM
2.gif

----------------

You do have a point. I just took down and put away (didn't throw away) my outdoor Christmas lights, and routinely run power cords through wet locations. I don't see the "Cable Guy" out here replacing the RG-6 every time it sprinkles, either...

Sorry to hear about the flooding, what a crappy way to start the new year.

I, personally, wouldn't take any chances with the cables. Especially if you can get them covered under the insurance policy. I've seen too many service bulletins on cars/trucks where the coolant sensor starts to leak internally and over time, the coolant migrates through the wires, into the computer, and fries it. Granted, you have straight water, but the capillary action would be the same, at least I would think so. Besides, I doubt your amp would appreciate a direct short across the speaker terminals if water did somehow find its way in there.

Better safe than sorry. Best of luck with the clean up.

Unless the ends were under water (which means the gear was under water) then there is no way for water to get under the insulation unless there were cracks in the insulation.

I am assuming the ends (connectors) were water-free, of course. If they were under water then, yes, there could be a problem.

DM

Well, met with the adjuster yesterday, and he was fine with replacing the cables, so I'll be making up a list. While none of the ends were actually in water, he said that he has authorized replacment in similar situations, so we should be good to go. Not sure if they will take the cables once we are settled up.

The risers seem to be doing ok, though a bit of the finish is gone. I think when we have a furniture refinisher out here to look at a couple of antique pieces that were in the basement, I'll have them look at the risers to see if there is anything they can do to clean them up. Heck, I might be able to do it with a bit of sandpaper and some BLO. The risers are spreading out a bit at the corners, and while I haven't lifted up the speakers yet, I might just be able to tighten down the screws and be ok. The adjuster did say he would authorize some money for "visual damage" so that's cool.

The drying out is taking much longer than I had hoped. Fans are still going and probably will for another day or two. I can see this whole thing taking up to a month to get everything on the reconstruction done. Then there will be the wait for the personal property claim, so I bet the theater will be down until some time in Feb. Oh well, still counting my blessings.

Anyone know of a good coin restorer? Not getting much luck with the shops I've called so far.

----------------

On 1/5/2005 10:37:06 PM jhawk92 wrote:

Anyone know of a good coin restorer? Not getting much luck with the shops I've called so far.

----------------

Rob,

Is that going to be covered by the insurance as well? You undoubtedly know not to tackle that yourself. Who have you called? I think I'd contact the American Numismatic Association for advice.

Fini-

Most of my coins made it fine, but several of my proof sets leaked, so there's water on the inside. So much for them being "sealed." I don't know if that can be "fixed" or if I can just claim them and get replacements. Unfortunately, the standard coin limit is pretty low, and I think I may bump up against that, so I'll try and get them to replace the more expensive sets if they don't cover it all, and then I'll search for replacements.

Yes, I am leaving well enough along on trying to "fix" them. I've called a few coin dealers locally, as well as some companies that specialize in coin investing, but haven't gotten any calls back yet. Good idea about the ANA. Will look them up and call them tomorrow. Thanks.

Here's the ANA website. Good info and links. If it's the proof sets (and not older, rarer ones), and the adjuster blows you off, you might consider opening the cases and rinsing them in distilled water or something. DEFINITELY check this out with the pros at the ANA first, as they'd also be able to tell you how to open the proof sets without damaging the coins. You'll want to do this asap, as the 40% silver coins will probably begin to tarnish real soon. GOOD LUCK, and let me know how it turns out!

Fini-

Thanks much. Nice that they are just down the road from me in C. Springs. I'll ping them tomorrow and see what they have to say. I don't think I have any really rare/expensive ones, as I just started getting them in the mid-80s. But I do have the silver proof sets as well, and a few of them leaked also. IIRC, one of these is kinda rare, I think the '95 silver set, but I don't have a current price guide anymore.

I'm also hoping that I can get some replacement boxes for my bullion coins that got wet. Coins are fine, but the boxes are shot and I'd like to keep the coins safe. Called the US Mint and the customer service lady was less than helpful. Supposedly, they don't sell just the boxes. Doesn't seem right to me, but I also think she may not have been able to think for herself; just follow a checklist for phone orders. Will see if ANA knows anything about boxes.

So, are you a coin collector also?