Klipsch Forte need new Receiver

Thomas Smith

I recently picked up a vintage H/K 430 Twin Powered receiver, after reading all the raves here. How does it sound with my Forte II's? INCREDIBLE. Until I acquired this, I had always rotated amps and receivers (both newer and vintage) in and out of my system. No more. I've had the little 430 hooked up since the day I got it, and have no desire to switch it with another, more powerful amp. The combo is the most musical I've encountered yet.

If your budget is $500, you can pick one up for around $50 or less, and spend the rest on music. 9.gif

ditto on the vintage HK 430 -930 models

The 70s vintage harmon/kardon 430, 630, 730, and 930 models were twin-powered, with dual transformers. The original line-up consisted of 630 and 930, the 430 and 730 added in 1976 model year, but 630 was dropped at the same time.

With super-sensitive big ole horns, all you need is a handful of quality watts. At lower volumes, the more typical, single-transformer 330s are still quite excellent. The twin-powered versions dont bog down when playing complex passages at higher volumes...clipping with big ole horns is unlikely, except at LOUD volumes in large rooms.

My 330B is NOT twin powered, however it sounds much better than the few other new solid-state receivers I have heard on big ole horns, including the amazing Pass X250.

Half a dozen HK 430 on eBay this year average about $54, which is a darn right two-channel steal for what these can do with big ole horns! Shipping is about $20 bucks. So far, two 730 models averaged $132, though shipping often adds $30-45. Cleaning can be as little as a few squirts of contact spray, but refurbishing can add up to $125.

I know it's nearly heresy (no pun intended) to recommend newer ss amps, but I love my NAD C230 Power amp with it's matching pre amp. Yes, it clips when really driven, but for moderate volumes, at about $400 for the brand new combo, I think it's a really good deal.

Especially when you consider that the highs and mids they produce are fantastic. I've had them hooked up to my KHorns off and on for about 2 years now, and I'm very happy.

Ofcourse when I pick up a pair of MC-30's sometime this summer, they'll probably never see the light of day again!

-F

I know it's nearly heresy (no pun intended) to recommend newer ss amps, but I love my NAD C230 Power amp with it's matching pre amp. Yes, it clips when really driven, but for moderate volumes, at about $400 for the brand new combo, I think it's a really good deal.

Especially when you consider that the highs and mids they produce are fantastic. I've had them hooked up to my KHorns off and on for about 2 years now, and I'm very happy.

Ofcourse when I pick up a pair of MC-30's sometime this summer, they'll probably never see the light of day again!

-F