How do I best upgrade my theater system? (and a little history)

bhendrix

I currently am using KG4.2 for front left and right, KV-3 for center channel, RS-3's for the surrounds, a KSW12 subwoofer with Denon electronics. My room (in the basement) is 8' ceiling x 19' wide x 29' long. TV and audio components are in built-in cabinets/shelves on the 19' wall at the end of the room.

I've been thinking about the RB-35 system with RS-35s, RC-35 and RW12 and have several questions where your help/counsel,guidance will be appreciated.

How would the RB-35's compare to the KG4.2s, the RC-35 vs. KV-3, the RS-3 vs. the RS-35, and the RW-12 vs the KSW12?

If I go to a 7.1 system, should the rear speakers be RS's or RC's?

Any other thoughts/suggestions will really be appreciated.

A BRIEF POSTSCRIPT:

35 years ago I was the CFO for the largest Klipsch dealer in the country. I had the opportunity to design and install several Disco systems with the aid of Paul W. and some awesome people from Hope. Our factory rep was John Frick. Haven't heard from him for ages. As you might imagine, disco was not Paul's first choice in music! My favorite installation was a double-stack K-horn on each side of the dance floor with LaScala's in the rear powered by Crown D-350's. Boy did that system rock!! I am also the inventor of the slant riser for the Heresy. Our demo room was fairly narrow and the tweeters fired into peoples' knees. Our demo Heresys were raw birch, so I made a slant riser out of birch for the demo units. Paul came to visit and loved the slant riser concept. We were also the recipients of the first MCM 1900 systems that we used with banks of LaScala's to do sound reinforcement for bands at the University of Nebraska. Boy, those were great times!! OK, so it wasn't a very brief postscript . . .

Thanks to all for your help!!

Bill

you are thinking of mismatching speaker lines? bad choice. stick with 1 line. reference, heritage.......... the reason being different lines have different timbre, voice characteristics, if you mismatch, than you get jumping effects when panning across ??? for example plane fly bys or explosions, the kgs are a good line to build around

Thanks, marksdad,

I agree that I should build around one line, but I'm trying to determine whether it would be best to build around the KG4.2's or simple move to a complete Reference 35 system. If I stay with KG4.2's, what do I use for side and rear surround units?

Recent surgery has hampered my ability to lift things or to get to the audio dealer for auditions, so I'm hoping others will have opinions and ideas to offer.

Thanks again . . .

Trust marksdad when he says DON'T mixmatch.

When he called me up on that a few months ago, it changed my life.

(I was mixing the Heritage and Reference lines)

Thank You brotha Sainz for your sincerity.

I will always be indebt to you. For you "showed me the light !!!! "