Mix Heresys and Forte IIs?

SilverSport

In a HT system does it make any sense to mix these...use the Forte IIs (as the front mains, I assume) and the Heresys as rears or get Heresys all around...?...Center is a KLF-C7.

Thanks,

Bill

(having a bit of trouble locating rear surrounds, can get some nice Heresys for 'bout $400 plus shipping or possibly some Forte IIs for 'bout $600, local pick up.

Guess it depends on what you're going to use the rear channels for. If movies only, Heresy's will probably be fine. I a/b'd a Heresy and a Forte as a center channel between my Chorus mains and they actually sounded fairly close to each other.

If multi-channel music, then I'd try to find a way to fit another pair of Forte's in the rear, and one in the center as well. Actually, if you can swing it, I'd get the Forte's for the rear anyway and remove any question of compatibility.

I suppose it also depends on how sensitive you are to the differences between them. I use Heresies as surrounds for Fortes, and to me they are somewhere between tolerable and acceptable. Certainly not good or great.

The Heresies were the first speakers I had. An Academy came next, and the mix between the Academy and the Heresies was so poor that I put the Academy away and ran phantom center until I got the Fortes. (This contrasts sharply with Doug's experience.) The Fortes and the Academy work nicely, and since the surrounds don't do so much in HT, I can tolerate the mismatch until I can repair my Choruses and/or get some Quartets.

If you mean to listen to multichannel music, don't even think about the Heresies. Heck, for $200 and being able the get them locally, I'd get the Forte II's instead, just because.

Thanks,

I just got a set of '78 Heresys and can get a decent price on another set but I have to have 'em shipped at near a "C" note...this places their price near what someone local (if he still has them...no resopnse from e-mail yet) has a set of Forte IIs in "as new" condition.

I really like my Heresys...seems Heresys or Cornwalls would be the likely step...if I got the Forte IIs and they are all I keep hearing about...perhaps the Heresys become the "surrounds" and the Forte IIs move to the front main position...

I am in need of rear surrounds and the sources (for now, anyway) have seemed to dry up...since what used surrounds are "almost" what I would pay for the Heresys delivered or the local Forte IIs (well, they are a "bit" more;-) I thought of my "upgradeitis" might be starting early.

Bill