Cornwalls II how to open them ?

krzys

Hey Klipsch guys. I just got my first pair of Cornwalls. They are II type made in 1986. I wanted to open them and look inside but only mange to take of the horns.

What the hell is the way to take the woofers of? They seem to be glued. And please dont respond in the easy way, Ive taken the bolts out.

Looking trough the squeaker opening I had two big surprises: there is a massive wood bracket between the front and rear panels and there is no trace of any acoustic treatment or filing. Is that normal for Cronwalls II?

What really surprise me is the lack of any acoustic filing this goes opposite to any speaker theory I know, you know standing waves and so one.

Somebody can comment on these issues?

5.gif

What the hell is the way to take the woofers of? They seem to be glued. And please dont respond in the easy way, Ive taken the bolts out.

Not glued on. Use a medium sized screwdriver, gently work the tip underneath the driver, and work the driver loose. Common sense prevails here. Work slow.

Looking through the speaker opening I had two big surprises: there is a massive wood bracket between the front and rear panels and there is no trace of any acoustic treatment or filing. Is that normal for Cornwalls II?

Yes. Normal.

What really surprised me is the lack of any acoustic filling. This goes opposite to any speaker theory I know of, you know, standing waves and so on. Can somebody comment on these issues?

Speakers made by Thiel also don't use anything inside the cabinet. http://stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/684/ A common practice for them from the beginning as well. A speaker devoid of damping, or excessive damping material sounds livelier and more realistic. The important thing is that the internal volume is matched to the driver and port -- which the Cornwalls are.

Why are you trying to get into them? There's no real reason too unless you plan on modifying something.

DeanG thanks for this very complete replay.

I just got the Corns. First the tweeters were blown so I started by taking them out and was curious to see the crossover ane all inner details and looking at all possibilities of DIY tweaks. I wanted to confirm if they are like originals.

I will follow your advice and let the woofers in. The crossover can be taken out through the squaker openning. I also will listen to them for a while before tempting to make any change beside the spikes.