Klipsch 4 versus 4.2

John24689

I have not heard either of the Klipsch KG 4 or KG 4.2 speakers. Which one sounds the best? I am considering putting a set in my 12'X 14' bedroom. Is one more valuable than the other? Where is the best place to purchase a set?

Thanks for any help and have a great day.

John

----------------

On 1/9/2005 9:19:40 PM John24689 wrote:

Is one more valuable than the other? Where is the best place to purchase a set?

----------------

The KG4.2 replaced the KG4 in 1992... and were probably sold for similar prices when they were available new. They are both "two way" designs but the KG4 uses two active 8" woofers and one passive 12" while the KG4.2 uses a single 10" active woofer and a single 10" passive radiator.

Klipsch KG4 specs

Klipsch KG4.2 specs

Searching completed bids on Ebay will give you and idea of what their respective prices are. Best place to buy them would be in local classified ads as you would same shipping... but they don't always pop up.

I have never heard either... so I can't really comment on which sounded better.

Good luck... and welcome to the family...

Rob

Hi John,

Those 4.2's will be plenty big enough to fill about any bedroom with sound. My 4.2's have been powered by a Denon 40 watt reciever for about the last 12 years or so. I have been able to change the sound tremendously by using the original spikes hidden underneath the plastic covers, and then by putting concrete pads {stepping stones} underneath them. I heard maybe they would sound even better powered by some tube equipment. I usually listen at soft to moderate listening levels. There is a guy that hangs out here at this forum that does crossover modifications and I'm trying to find out if these 4.2's are worth the trouble and expense of any available modifications.

Enjoy them as they have the ability to let you hear great detail.1.gif