Who has KG4's and what do you use for power?

christjared

I have a kg4 pair I bought new in 1986. For a long time I used a Yamaha A520 Integrated amp (169wpc @ 6ohms), also from about 1986. I now use a Harmon Kardon AVR5 video receiver (45 wpc) in my living room with the kg4's as mains. The HK sounds a little better, and I think even louder than the Yamaha was but i'm too old (37, 5 kids)to know for sure anymore. The old Yamaha is in my garage/shop running a pair of kg3's and Bose 301's. No comparison at all really, the Bose sound like they have a quilt over them compared to the Klipschs.

The only amp I had that sounded really BAD with the kg4s was a cheapo JVC integrated amp from a "rack system" I started out with in 1985.

Greetings,

I power my kg4's with an old Harman/Kardon 730 Twin Power receiver which puts out 40wpc. For my living room this is more than enough power with clear highs, gorgeous mids, and solid bass. At typical listtening levels, the controls are set at: Bass=2:30, Treble=1:00, Volume=9:00

Hope this helps...

Take care,

Scott

KG4's powered at various times by an older Pioneer VSX receiver, an Eico HF81, and a Consonance M100SE. I rotate them in and out of the system. Tube amps are preferred and the EICO serves the majority of duty unless I want to wake the neighborhood and then I plug in the M100.

• 2 weeks later...

Power you say? I found a Denon DRA-835R from Audiogon last year for $150 to mate to my KG4s. I had tried other new 2 channel recievers but this 10 year old receiver blew them out of the water. I recently found out from Denon that they last retailed in '95 for 800 dollars. They are rated 100 WPC @ 8 Ohms, I rarely go past 1/4 turn on the volume, as there is just no need, TONS of power to spare. The sound is just incredible especially with the price in mind, with the first phrase coming to mind being "warm and powerful, yet clean". I doubt with KG4s that you can really go WRONG with many amplifiers/receivers, but this is the most RIGHT my system has ever sounded.

I have the DRA-835, but its brothers, the DRA 825, 1025 and 1035 are all of the same caliber, and there is usually one or two on Ebay. Denon's current 2channel receivers aren't as good IMO, the DRA-295, 395, and 685, all of which I have listened to. It really makes me whish Denon still cared about stereo.

• Like 1