Sub hookup question

Raid

Just have a quick question about hooking my subwoofer up. I have a KSW12 subwoofer and a Yamaha HTR-5760 reciever. I currently have my sub hooked up only via a MonsterBass cable to the Subwoofer Pre Out on the reciever. It works impressively with movies in Dolby and DTS, but I get nothing out of it when I play music in stereo. The LED stays red which I assume means the sub is not recieving any signal at all, and has shut off.

Do I need to hook up speaker wire off of one of the extra jacks on my floor-standing front speakers, or do I need to change something in the reciever? Sorry if this is a newb question.

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

you have to turn the sub on in the menu, i used to know what to do but with out looking at it i am not srue, but it should be a simple fix and the only time that 2 ch will only be direct is if you select that

Thanks for the replies. I did some reading, but still haven't fixed the problem. According to the manual, in 2ch Stereo you can use a subwoofer when the subwoofer is secected under the LFE/BASS OUT menu. I checked the menu, and it is selected - still no activity on the sub.

Is there anyone familiar with Yamaha's like this one (HTR-5760), or do you have any other suggestions for me? Thanks.

If you don't have that option and your sub as RCA ins and RCA outs, you might try turning sub off in the receiver. This may direct LFE out to the Mains (if the mains are set to LARGE). Then run your L and R MAIN OUT's to the Sub (this signal should contain L, R, LFE.) Then from your sub's output jacks back to the Pre-IN on your receiver (I think the yamaha's have this). This should this should then send the signal back to your main speakers(possibly after the low frequencies being filtered out).

Thanks Del. I played around some more. The Yamaha troubleshooting guide suggested changing LFE/BASS OUT to BOTH (sub and front) instead of subwoofer only. I did this, and it worked. The sub started recieving a signal in 2 Channel mode.

Does this sound like a good solution? Are there any drawbacks to have the bass go out to both sub and front?

Thanks again.

-Jeff