First Jazz on Chorus II's:

kenratboy

I have really enjoyed the Chorus II's for electronic music and that sort of stuff. Punchy, dynamic, unafraid. Perfect...

However, I am starting to get into some jazz. I have no idea if the music is good or not (quality of mater), but I bought a Erik Truffaz CD on a recommendation and I really like it. It is a Blue Note record (CD 3.gif ), so I am sure the recording quality is good at WORST.

Well, how does it sound on the Klipsch's?

AMAZING!

I have never heard music sound this good. The sax was so vivid, clear, clean, and realistic. I was absolutly floored. This is the first real instrument I have heard thru these speakers. Even at low volumes, you could not ignore the sound, it was more than 'background' music. I now know what all these reviewers talk about when they review $40,000 speakers and try to put into words what REAL sounds like. I got a piece of that!

Oh, the kicker:

This was driven by my cheap Sony AV receiver and a Sony 300 CD changer - it can only get better, MUCH, MUCH better 2.gif

Heh, it is like being introduced to music all over again.

It is just amazing how good music sounds! For example, I played some FLA (Front Line Assembly) CD's, which are fairly hardcore, but not unrefined industrial music. Many of the songs start out sounding like a soundtrack to the Matrix (the typical Hollywood orchastra chords with some supporting bass, you get the idea) Just the power the speakers convey is just unerving. On most all systems, they kinda roll their eyes and try to keep up. The Chorus's just laugh in my face and tease me for being a wuss and not playing louder, more demanding music. Jazz and classical is like taking a nap for them!

Remember, this is all on a (wait, Amy the mod said I could swear, awww f...) 'not very good' Sony home theater receiver (STR-DE675) - so I have a MASSIVE noise floor that takes away from the music. I am lacking the quality in all aspects that make a good amp work. Also, this bright, harsh Sony receiver on Klipsch Heritage speakers is a match made in hell.

I am probably going to freak out when I upgrade. I have my eye on this:

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/primare/products/i21.htm

and while I am at, probably a good universal CD/DVD-A/SACD player.

Ken:

While I'm sure Primare makes great stuff, for that kind of bucks you can put together a killer system of perfectly wonderful stuff that's a couple of years past its "sell by" date. Super amps like the B&K ST140 can be had for less than $200 bucks, annual update challenged pre-amps can often be had for less. Since you seem to be budget minded, I'd recommend exploring the used market. I've rarely had a component fail and I'll match my system against anything I've heard.

James

----------------

On 1/14/2005 4:26:14 AM jheis wrote:

Ken:

While I'm sure Primare makes great stuff, for that kind of bucks you can put together a killer system of perfectly wonderful stuff that's a couple of years past its "sell by" date. Super amps like the B&K ST140 can be had for less than $200 bucks, annual update challenged pre-amps can often be had for less. Since you seem to be budget minded, I'd recommend exploring the used market. I've rarely had a component fail and I'll match my system against anything I've heard.

James
----------------

James - what if the Primare stuff was, say, half off retail? Like $750 for that unit?

Hmmm, I have always wanted seperates. I will need to explore my options.

I will say right now that tubes are out, just because I want to be able to rock out if I want, and some horsepower won't hurt 3.gif

Yes, horns being reproduced by horns, just as the music god intended.

Pfffff, 'dome' tweeters...