Receiver

Smokem

The receiver puts out 100 watts @ 6 ohms for 5 channels

200 watts @ 3 ohms for sub channel

The Quintents say 100 watts @ 8 ohms for satellites

100 watts @ 8 ohms for center channel

The KSW 10 Sub says 225 watts into 4 ohms

Do I or will I have a problem with these numbers?

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/14/2005 1:57:22 PM Smokem wrote:

The receiver puts out 100 watts @ 6 ohms for 5 channels

200 watts @ 3 ohms for sub channel

The Quintents say 100 watts @ 8 ohms for satellites

100 watts @ 8 ohms for center channel

The KSW 10 Sub says 225 watts into 4 ohms

Do I or will I have a problem with these numbers?

----------------

well your biggest problem is mismatching the nomial impedence, look at it this way, if you send something with a 6 ohm signal out t the speaker through the positive terminal its gong to want a 6 ohm signal back, by sending out a 6 ohm signal through on 8 ohm speaker you are going to be etting 8 ohms back, what will happen is that your receiver will run a lot hotter depending on how loud you listen and over time if your receiver cannot handle an 8 ohm speaker it will eventually cook the receiver to death, now also a 100 w at 6 ohm is actually more powerful than 100 w at 8 ohm so you also run a very slight risk of blowing out the speakers but it is unlikely, the other thing to keep in mind is that the 100 w into 6 ohms is probably peak wattage not rms... furthermore your subwoofer has a built in plate amp therefore it is only going to use the signal you feed to it and use the internal amp to drive the subwofer

Then the good thing is I don't use the system for every day TV listening. I only use it for movies and programs that will really benefit from the surround sound.

Thankx for the info. I will be replacing the tuner in the future with one meant for the 8 ohms to the speakers.

Looks to be some confusion as to the meaning of nominal impedance here.

Impedance can be thought of as the resistance to AC current flow presented to the amplifier at a given frequency. Impedance varies according to frequency. A Klipschorn,although rated as presenting an 8 ohm impedance, will present an impedance rangining from about 3 ohms to about 60 ohms depending on the frequency being presented.Remember also that the speaker is rarely if ever being fed a single frequency thus the impedance being seen by the amp will vary widely at any given moment.

To address the original question. No your amp should have no difficulty driving that subwoofer and you shouldn't be concerned.

Impedance can become an issue when multiple speakers are connected to the same output on an amplifier but that is not the case in the setup described here.

well your biggest problem is mismatching the nomial impedence, look at it this way, if you send something with a 6 ohm signal out t the speaker through the positive terminal its gong to want a 6 ohm signal back, by sending out a 6 ohm signal through on 8 ohm speaker you are going to be etting 8 ohms back, what will happen is that your receiver will run a lot hotter depending on how loud you listen and over time if your receiver cannot handle an 8 ohm speaker it will eventually cook the receiver to death, now also a 100 w at 6 ohm is actually more powerful than 100 w at 8 ohm so you also run a very slight risk of blowing out the speakers but it is unlikely, the other thing to keep in mind is that the 100 w into 6 ohms is probably peak wattage not rms... furthermore your subwoofer has a built in plate amp therefore it is only going to use the signal you feed to it and use the internal amp to drive the subwofer

No, that's not right. The amplifier rated for 6 ohms only means it will handle a 6 ohms load, which is harder than an 8 ohms load. It will also handle 8 ohms. Note that it will be less than 100W at 8 ohms, but that doesn't matter very much. Speakers rated at 8 ohms nominal actually vary quite a bit over the frequency spectrum, and they might have a few low points even below 4 ohms. That's why I also prefer an amplifier that can handle a 4 ohms load. It will sound better. Hope this clears it up a bit.

The receiver has 200W on the sub channel? Does it have a line-level unamplified sub output? Because the KSW10 is a powered sub, so you won't be connecting it to amplified outputs.