How big amp for RF-35?

_RF-35_

The number of watts a receier puts out provides little useful information due to the fact that many manufacturers lie. The range of 40 to 60 watts in your question sounds like a Harman Kardon receiver. H/K tells the truth about wattage.

H/K receivers producing 60 watts should be more than enough power depending on room size and use or non-use of a subwoofer. Big rooms need more power to fill. Subwoofers take much of the load off of a receiver when properly utilized.

The main thing about power is that your receiver must have enough power that it does not clip the signal when turned up to higher volume levels. Clipping destroys speakers. Clipping happens when an amplifier runs out of the power needed to reproduce the signal it is being fed.

Bill

Excellent question .....

a rule we used in pro-sound was not less than twice the speakers RMS rating

but, you also want the amp to run in it's sweet spot, out of the distortion you may get by runnung a 100 w.p.c. anp at 1 watt

for instance, my Phase 400 likes about 1/3 volume, the distortion on this amp climbs rapidly over 1/2 power,like 100wrms, it's rated at 200/ channel

on the other hand, i run my CornWalls offen' 2 crown com-tech 200's, each one bridged to 400 wpc

the Crowns don't mind coasting, and have awesome headroom for the Dbx bass synthesyizer i run

you might also want to know what kind of headroom the amp has ... +6 dB, tells you the amp is conservitively rated, with plenty of power supply

then there's damping factor ....

at least a factor of 300 tells you the amp can sink the current to control the speaker excursion

the Crowns are rated at 1000 D.f. , but anything over 300 is fine, no audible difference

tube amps, now .. may have a damping factor of only 50 or so ....

----------------

On 1/15/2005 7:00:58 AM _RF-35_ wrote:

How big amplifier do I need for RF-35?

How many watt do you recommend?

Is 40 or 60W/pc enough?

----------------

what is your budget?

how big is your room?

music and/or movies - what percentage of each?

answer those questions and then we can give you an intelligent answer that should best meet your needs?

BTW - welcome to the forum!

1.gif

----------------

On 1/16/2005 11:56:29 AM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 1/15/2005 7:00:58 AM _RF-35_ wrote:

How big amplifier do I need for RF-35?

How many watt do you recommend?

Is 40 or 60W/pc enough?

----------------

what is your budget?

how big is your room?

music and/or movies - what percentage of each?

answer those questions and then we can give you an intelligent answer that should best meet your needs?

BTW - welcome to the forum!
1.gif

----------------

My budget is small, about 900$ max. right now.

My room is also small 5X3meters, but you don`t need to think about that.

I`m going to buy my own house soon.

About 90% music and 10% movies. Maybe more music than 90% some times.

I sent a e-mail to a dealer; He said that RA-1062 (2X60W) is strong enough for RF-35.

The amp i measured to 95W at 8ohm, look here: http://europe.rotel.com/reviews/pdfs/int-amps/ra1062-hifichoice-mar04.pdf

i play with a pioneer VSX-1011 , is 120 watt and that is just fine.

in de store where my RF-3II come's from , there they play with receivers off 400 watt , it was a full surround setup with 2 RF-3II , 2x2 RS-3 and a sub.

then they come full to there rights.(this is not really nessesary of corses , exept when you have lots of mony)

you just have to watch when you have kids , when they turn de volume open de speakers are history.

when you have 100 - 120 watt it is fine

----------------

On 1/16/2005 12:34:51 PM _RF-35_ wrote:

My budget is small, about 900$ max. right now.

My room is also small 5X3meters, but you don`t need to think about that.

I`m going to buy my own house soon.

About 90% music and 10% movies. Maybe more music than 90% some times.

I sent a e-mail to a dealer; He said that RA-1062 (2X60W) is strong enough for RF-35.

The amp i measured to 95W at 8ohm, look here:

----------------

i forgot to ask - two channel amp or multichannel amp for home theater?

personally - i would recommend at least 200 watts per channel @ 8 ohms

in the two channel area - there are many great options in your price range.

i personally use a carver profesional ZR1000 digital amp to power my KLF-30's - list price is over $1000, but you can find them brand new online for about $800. it is rated at 225 watts per channel @ 8ohms - plenty of power for any size room (esp important if you are planning on moving into a house) it can be found used for about $500 to $650 on audiogon.

Soundwise - this Carver Pro digital amp is the best amp that I have ever used in my system and one of the best amps that I have ever heard - at any price!!!

http://www.carverpro.com/2004/zramps.html

there are many very good amplifiers in your price range - esp if you are open to used amps - check out the two channel options on audiogon - good brands - sunfire, B&K, rotel, parasound, van alstine, and aragon (all of the brands that i listed have models for sale right now on audiogon for less than $900)

You could also use other professional amplifier options to power your home theater. there is an extremely long thread on avs forum discussing that option in great detail - crown, qsc, and others...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=418666

in the multi-channel area - there are fewer options that will fit your budget

in your situation, i would look for a used sunfire cinema grand - they go for about $900 to $1000 used on audiogon.

other options - (used on audiogon) rotel, B&K, and anthem.

brands that i would avoid - ATI, outlaw, sony, adcom and yamaha

----------------

On 1/16/2005 4:20:02 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The folks on AVS know lots about audio, but wear your flame retardant suit if you post much there. The Klipsch forum has more knowledge of horns an tubes, and is usually more hospitable than AVS.

Bill

----------------

and if you do post over there - don't dare to criticize their favorite little internet speaker comapny - av123

you will be banned faster than you can blink - David Bott (moderator on AVS) seems to feel the need to "protect" the rocket brand from any criticisms even if they are valid!

if you didn't know better and just read the AVS forum for your speaker information, you would actually think that rockets are a major speaker line rather than a minor internet company with very annoying customers!

(rant off)

i do agree with bill - this forum is a much friendlier place