Movies in 2 channel...5.1 necessary???

SilverSport

I am confused right now, possibly just feelin' the burn of my ebay rip but...my "old" system was a Nakamichi TA/2A 55wpc X 2 stereo...hooked up to Klipsch Heresys and KG2s...(1 or the other, I had never listened with both at once) listening to movies like "the matrix" was nice with decent punch but I thought, Why not more???

I am currently auditioning Outlaw Audio 950 Processor with a 7100 100wpc X 7...currently only listening in stereo as I am waiting to completly re-arrange everything and go 5.1...

Listening in 2 channel, through the Heresys which will remain the mains I have thought..."This doesn't sound significantly better than my older Nak."

Since I can still return under the 30day no questions asked guarantee, I plan to only listen to music in 2 channel and movies and what not in 5.1

I guess I am asking:

Will I enjoy movies a LOT more with 5.1 over "stereo" even if I upped the mains to Cornwalls?

I already know the music isn't $2,000 better...should I just stick with "2.0" for movies or keep what I have started and get going on my 5.1?

Any help you can give me would be REALLY appreciated...

Thanks...I asked this over in Home Theater as well but I know some of you only check one or the other site.

Bill

It depends on how often do you watch movies and how important is it to hear the surround sounds. Try this if you do not own Final Fantsy then go rent it. Make sure it is the 2 disc version and use the special features disc. Go to Aki's Dream and listen in stereo first then listen in 5.1 with the rears turned up so the flow of sounds from front to rear and rear to front is uniform. Aki's dream is one of the best examples of surround sound. There is 2 battle scenes in the 8-10 minute dream that sound incredibel. Also turn up the subwoofer that is what it is there for and in Aki's Dream with stereo and with 5.1 the sub makes a big difference. The extended version of Return Of The King durning the main battle is annother. When I watched the Return Of The Kings at home I heard more details and the bass is better than in a theater, of course the screen is much bigger in a theater! Try those 2 movies and if there is no real sound improvement in 5.1 then I say stay with movies in stereo.

Xman