FED UP WITH BUZZING AND HISSING

Praetorian109

RANT/ After originally dealing with the high pitched buzzing and hissing issue with my PM4.1 (even when not connected to any audio source) over a year ago....the problem has resurfaced.

At that time, I had originally sent my sub for the $50 repair to Klipsch. It turned out to be a 2 month saga dealing with Klipsch customer service with exchanges of defective PM sub replacement units they had sent me, cp-1 replacement that arrived physically damaged because it was not packed correctly, Klipsch finally decided to replace my entire set. The new set worked fine and I have been happy ever since the ordeal.......until now.

Today my PM4.1 decided to buzz and hiss....I thought to myself "here we go again...another busted amp". No electrical storms...no power outages...no power surges..or brown outs....but my pm4.1 is damaged...again.

I am now COMPLETELY fed up with my PM4.1....apparently many would agree with me that the amps on the Promedia lines do break easily..and too easily for that matter. Once again...I am obligated to pay the %50 for repairs and a 2 week turnaround time...else be stuck with a buzzing speaker set I spent close to $300 at the time of the purchase. Till this day...I still don't know what causes the amp to be damaged so easily...and quite frankly...I don't think it matters. Either way, I still have to pay $50+ to fix it, only for it to very likely break again (all on its own) in the near future. I've really had it with these PM4.1 and it appears that even the amp on the 5.1 ultras break easily as well.

I don't think it is fair for me to invest this much (relatively for a student) in a product, only for it to fail repeadly. No wonder the PM warranties are only 1 year and other klipsch products are 5 years. This is not right and I will make sure potential buyers would be forewarned. /RANT

No new lamps...in fact I had these PM4.1 on a seperate wall outlet connected to a seperate APC surge protector. But it is time for a brand new system...I think I'll go for something NON Klipsch. If I'm going to spend $50+ on a repair...I might as well go buy a new system that has prooven to be a solid and lasting performer.

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 1/17/2005 5:32:02 PM Praetorian109 wrote:

No new lamps...in fact I had these PM4.1 on a seperate wall outlet connected to a seperate APC surge protector. But it is time for a brand new system...I think I'll go for something NON Klipsch. If I'm going to spend $50+ on a repair...I might as well go buy a new system that has prooven to be a solid and lasting performer.

----------------

ya, about the whole "prooven to be a solid and lasting performer" good luck, and I'll give you some tips, forget logitech, altec lansing and creativelabs, bceause they are all gonna have simialr problems. If its not buzzing, its hissing, if its not hissing, its reliability, if its not reliability, its rattling in the subwoofer, etc etc etc........ every brand has had these probems. Its not just klipsch.

----------------

On 2/1/2005 11:01:24 PM 007 wrote:

----------------

On 1/17/2005 5:32:02 PM Praetorian109 wrote:

----------------

ya, about the whole "prooven to be a solid and lasting performer" good luck, and I'll give you some tips, forget logitech, altec lansing and creativelabs, bceause they are all gonna have simialr problems. If its not buzzing, its hissing, if its not hissing, its reliability, if its not reliability, its rattling in the subwoofer, etc etc etc........ every brand has had these probems. Its not just klipsch.

----------------

What me and Evil Techie are both experiencing is not your average hissing that usually comes from an amp...Rather we are hearing a quite audible very high pitched combination of buzzing and hissing coming from all four speakers that was not there since day one, but has cropped up suddenly out of no where. Certainly not the same amp hissing that z680 users have experienced and I certainly have not heard of other high end brands having the same unpredictable problems.

You are right...I don't like logitechs anymore than klipschs...altec lansing were never high end (relative to the pc market that is) manufacturers anyways. I can't say the same for Creative because for some odd reason I've always had good luck with their products. Now I don't sware by them either because they certianly have their own problems as do every manufacturer...BUT, most of the problems with their stuff I've experienced (I still have a pair of the old FPS 2000) have not been AS ANNOYING or WIDE SPREAD as the faulty amp problems I (and numerous personal acquaintances)'ve had with Klipsch (both PM 4.1 and original 5.1).

And as an update, I've finally given in and bought myself the s700 Gigaworks approximately a week ago to replace these 4.1. Only time will tell but my OUTLOOK is certainly much more positive especially seening a few of my personal friends that own either the s700 or s750 without any problems what so ever. What really pisses me off is not the temermentally faulty amp on pm4.1 or that I have to pay $50 for service...no, what TRULY PISSES ME OFF is the fact that Klipsch knows about this and refuses to do something about it besides going through the usual "service procedure" so that I can get it "fixed"....well until the next time it decides to quit on me again...completely unpredictable. It is not hard to imagine why a number of my acquaintances just decided NOT to send in their sets a 2nd or 3rd time because sooner or later...your repair and shipping fees alone can buy you a brand new set.

I certainly don't sware by one brand or another simply because I have learned that once I do (Klipsch), I am bound to be dissappointed at one point or another (Klipsch). As for the ppl who finds all this insulting and label me a "brand basher"; I'm glad you sware by Klipsch because you have found something that works for you and floats your boat. You WILL NOT find any sarcastic remarks from me against you because I really do envy you who have found the consistancy of satisfaction in Klipsch that I have not. Kudos to you and good luck to those in the very same boat I've just got off from. Hopefully my new s700 will fair much better under more favorable winds.

• Moderators

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you are having.

I don't know who you contacted here at Klipsch, but our RA department has strict policies about return procedure and are very limited on their ability to help people that fall under obvious exceptions.

When reoccurring problems happen, customer service can typically do more for you--especially bring your unit into our engineering facility to do some trouble shooting. It is important to pinpoint the exact problem to try and determine the cause. In reality, there are VERY few instances of reoccurring problems, unless systems are misused or abused (and I'm not saying yours are--there are exceptions). Home wiring can even cause problems over time.

It is true, however, that there are NO Multimedia systems available anywhere that are designed to last forever. If they were, they would cost thousands of dollars. That's why we do offer repairs--we can replace the parts that are damaged so you can continue to enjoy your speakers. I'm not sure if other companies do that--they may just tell you to chuck them and buy the latest model, I'm not sure.

And yes, our Home Audio products carry a 5 year warranty. That's because there are no electronics in them, and their price ticket is typically much higher.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...