Dean G / Bob Crites; Type A question for my HT Setup

tigerwoodKhorns

Guys,

First, thanks for all of the help lately. I dusted off one of my old EE books and jumped in to this thing, it is nice to have the support (dare I say support group for our addiction?).

I am going to order the parts to build ALK's for my 2 channel setup and want to order parts for my HT at the same time.

I have two Belles as mains (they sound bad, not much upper end, out of balance, no imaging, etc - the drivers are all working so I think it is the x-overs; Type AB)

I also have four heresys as follows:

Older version:

K77 Tweeter

K55v Mid

K22 Woofer

Type E Crossover

Newer Version:

K77 Tweeter (Plastic)

K53 Mid (Plastic)

K22 Woofer (uh, not plastic)

Type E-2 Crossover)

This is all driven by a Denon 5800 receiver.

I want to build Type A's for the Belles and freshen up the Heresys. The older Heresys sound much better than the newer ones (probably due to the caps).

Belles / Type A's.

I was reading an old thread where you used Hovland / Auricaps to build Type A's. This woudld be inexpensive ($100) but is it the way to go?

Are the paper in oil a better sound and better suited for the design because they introduce some resistance?

Same question for the Type B's. Should I go with all Auricap / Hovlands?

Should I replace the indiuctors in all of the above with new Solens? If so, what thickness? I don't think that Solen offers a 2.5 mHy. Is a 2.4 acceptable (probably not since the mathematical relationship is exponential)

Finally, should I replace the T2's with new. How do I know if they are still up to spec?

Thanks,

Chris