What speaker sounds good with any type of music?

jpm

----------------

On 1/26/2005 7:29:27 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I run a pair of McIntsoh MC-30s and a C22 preamp with a Thorens TD-124/SME 3012/Ortofon SPU table. The problem is in the bottom end--the Cornwalls just fall apart when compared with the Tannoys when playing loud rock or symphonic music. There is never any upper or mid-range harshness with either speaker.

----------------

Wow, talk about a classic rig. =o)

In my (limited) experience flakey bottom-end was traced to either filter caps going flat on either the pre or power amps, or gross incompatibility between amp and speaker (impedance issues.)

One thing I can say about the Forte / Audio Research combo is that it has bone-crushing bass abilities, to the point where it almost behaves like a solid-state amp at the very bottom. None of that overshooting/flabby bottom end I got from the Stereo 70.

Can you borrow a pair of Fortes or Chorus and play with them? Perhaps your room / gear would like something besides the Cornies or even the Tannoys.

Out of curiosity, what cabinets are your Golds in? I have a Tannoy fetish as well ^.^ I just can't afford / fit them in my apt.... not the big ones, anyway.

----

addendum:

How do the cornies 'fall apart'? Thudding, rattling, just general "blah" sound, or...?? I've heared Cornies with a 250 watt arc monster and it dman near put me thruogh the wall.. (that's a story all of it's own, let's just say a rich tweeky audiophool was shattered when the Cornies blew his 30,000 dollar pair of overpriced Vifa-based speakers away.. ;o)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 1/26/2005 7:42:55 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The Tannoys are in factory "Lancaster" cabinets. They're supposed to be "tubby" when compared with other cabinets for the Tonnoys, but they sound fast and lean to me!

----------------

We need an IRC channel of our own ;o)

I'll look up the Lancaster, not familiar with that one.

I made an addition to my previous post, I'd like to know how your cornies fail in the bass.. you've piqued my curiosity.

This is a 15" Lancaster--mine looks similar but has the wood mesh grille so popular back in the early 70's.

e9_1_b.JPG

The Conrwall bottom end just sounds slow and a bit uncontrolled when compared with the Tannoy--but only on loud rock or symphonic music. But as I've said before, I don't listen to rock or loud symphonic music very often.