RP-3 Midrange Woofer dead...need new one

DirtRider

My klipsch reference rp-3 mains have a problem. The mid-range driver went and I need to get a new one. I have taken the driver out of the left and put it in the right to make sure and sure enough it works when switched. I don't know much about speakers but with a slight push on the dust cap I can hear some crackling in what I guess is the voice coil behind the spider.

1. Is there a way I can fix this woofer? I don't see how it could come apart.

2. Anywhere I can buy the whole piece for fairly cheap?

3. Anyone know how much it costs from klipsch directly?

4. Is the midrange woofer in this the exact same as in the rs-3 surrounds and the rc-3 center?

5. If the leads are taped so they don't short is it still a problem to drive the unit with just the tweeter and sub? Will that damage the receiver amp? Why or why not?

6. Does this usually happen from being overdriven? I have a denon 3805 receiver and had it cranked all the way up for a short time. I didn't notice anything then but now a week or so later it didn't seem like the one main was working and sure enough it wasn't. I think the mains are rated for like 110 watts and the receiver puts out 120 watts per channel but I wouldn't have thought on full power it would even attain that. Why would it have gotten screwed?

Classis signs of a burnt voice coil. Contact Klipsch customer support and they should be able to get you a new driver. Does it smell funny. Had it happen in my truck when my amp burnt a pair of boston z-6 ($1000.00) car audio speakers, literaly smoked. Funny thing is it happened when I was tuning, roughly 600 watts according to digital volt meter. Needless to say I gave up my car audio hobby after that.

Can anyone explain to me the details on why clipping damages the voice coil? I know it is the extereme ends of the wave that are clipped off but why this actually damages a voice coil I don't know.

And yes upon smelling the voice coil it does smell slightly burnt.

Can a voice coil alone be replaced? All the other stuff looks good and it seems wasteful to not use all the other good parts.

clipping/ distortion try to turn the voice coil into a lightbulb

filiment

replace your driver(i bet its less than $60)

keep it tho, it will make a great paper weight on your desk at work!

just call the parts dept on monday

(you may need to tell them that you dont get along with your local dealer, they would rather that you didnt buy direct)

also be sure and keep your reciept, once you have a customer # its easier to buy next time

jay

I called my local klipsch dealer and he said they might be able to replace it under warranty. I just need the original receipt. They were purchased from united audio in 2001 and I can't find the receipt which is a problem. United audio got bought out by tweeter and they don't have any records of it nor do they carry klipsch anymore. Anyone have any ideas for me? If only I had a receipt for these rp-3 mains...

The dealer is going to find out the cost of a woofer for me early next week so if it isn't too bad maybe I wont worry about the warranty. I spent plenty of money buying these from an authorized dealer so if I can find a way to get it serviced under warranty I obviously will.