Where does the RF7 fit in?

jacksonbart

Ok we have the Heritage series, Reference series and the THX Ultra, among others. Where does the RF7 fit in? In terms of the Heritage series, I have heard the Klipschorn and the Heresy IIs, I thought the horns sounded great and I doubt the set up when I heard them was optimal, but I dont have room for horns and for the price you need the room or build an addition to the house. I really loved the RF7s and when I auditioned them I listened primarily to music I brought with me. Movies are important to me so I liked the idea that I could get the center and surrounds that matched. A little off topic but I wish Klipsch would offer their stuff direct, cause most retailers are really not very good at servicing their existing or potential clients. Tweeter stinks, I would really like to go direct. (FYI, that was not where I heard the Heritage systems). From a marketing point of view the Reference series is not THX approved, not that I care, my receiver is but that is not why I brought it, I love the sound and I like the flexibility (DACs) it offers. Yet Klipsch offers their Ultra THX system, which I have not heard at all, but clearly the THX matters to them. I love the my speakers, which I brought almost 2 years ago and are just getting to really enjoy them now since my dedicated room was completed in my basement, still working on acoustic tweaks though. I just think its strange were they fit in as their Flagship from a marketing point of view, guess the new Legends? I am thinking of constructing a stereo system with a pair of new Heresys and a nice amp and pre-tuner. I cant yet bring myself to get away from SS or switch to LPs. So it goes.

BTW it was the Heresys and the KGs that I heard in college that got me hooked.

I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly, as it seems to have expanded considerably in the course of your post. If your question remains that of the title, then the RF-7 is the flagship speaker of the Reference series. Some argue that the Heritage series is the true "reference" series, although I'd venture to say only the Khorn is better than the RF-7.

The THX Ultra series is meant for home theater. The speakers are not meant to rival the RF-7 in terms of music reproduction.

Nick is right, the RF-7 is probably second only to the Klipschorn. Since the Heritage series is a fairly limited production (I suppose), it makes sense that the RF-7 is the company's marketing flagship.

However, when the Premier series comes out, I suppose we'll have a new flagship, albeit a rather pricey one.