High Gloss Lacquered MDF?

aviserated

You could send them to me, but I am way up north. Too much $$ shipping. OTOH, you could seek out the resources of a cabinet finishing shop, or an auto body shop. That would be the most efficent way of finishing them.

Fyi analogman, with a high pressure dinosaur spray gun > 50-55 psi, over 75% of the material is lost as over and off spray. Out of every gallon sprayed, only a quart ends up on what you spray. I have an HVLP sata jet, which has a transfer efficiency closer to 78%, which means that I get a lot more paint on, with a lot less overspray.

What do you want to kill next? Strike a stake through the heart of the evil 2-stroke weed whackers? Does your wife use hairspray? If she does, then we might have to call the EPA. Regardless of the vehicle, solvents still end up in the atmosphere.

Ah yes, the various merits of methods are always topical, and not always applicable; I guess it's "picking bones" at this point. I was referring to wasted material as "that which has dried and would now be removed/remain", where you meant "that which is sprayed and unrecovered". Gotcha.

Spray cans are a fine alternative to those who do not have the ability and/or specialized tools to do otherwise. Ideal? Certainly not - but I'd rather lose material from overspray than deal with bubbles from using a roller. Yecch!

Popbumper

----------------

On 1/26/2005 9:35:26 PM michael hurd wrote:

Automotive primer won't flow? Geez, either you don't know how to reduce the material, have the wrong spray gun, or incorrect pressures. I refinish automobiles, and primered quite a bit of mdf with a two-component urethane primer surfacer. You can lay it down just as nice on mdf, so smooth that you just have to knock it down with 600 grit before finishing with a urethane topcoat.

----------------

This makes perfect sense. Plus the black primer will show the MDF when you have sanded too far. Can you give us a detailed list of what is needed and steps involved to achieve a polished high gloss topcoat on MDF using primer surfacer and top coat lacquer. Thanks

----------------

On 1/27/2005 2:17:49 PM michael hurd wrote:

You could send them to me, but I am way up north. Too much $$ shipping. OTOH, you could seek out the resources of a cabinet finishing shop, or an auto body shop. That would be the most efficent way of finishing them.

Fyi analogman, with a high pressure dinosaur spray gun > 50-55 psi, over 75% of the material is lost as over and off spray. Out of every gallon sprayed, only a quart ends up on what you spray. I have an HVLP sata jet, which has a transfer efficiency closer to 78%, which means that I get a lot more paint on, with a lot less overspray.

What do you want to kill next? Strike a stake through the heart of the evil 2-stroke weed whackers? Does your wife use hairspray? If she does, then we might have to call the EPA. Regardless of the vehicle, solvents still end up in the atmosphere.

----------------

You should really work on your reading comprehension skills. Thanks for reiterating my point on overspray. I think you need to change the cartridge in your respirator as well.

Binks and DeVilbiss,

Analogman

----------------

On 1/27/2005 3:42:09 PM popbumper wrote:

Ah yes, the various merits of methods are always topical, and not always applicable; I guess it's "picking bones" at this point. I was referring to wasted material as "that which has dried and would now be removed/remain", where you meant "that which is sprayed and unrecovered". Gotcha.

Spray cans are a fine alternative to those who do not have the ability and/or specialized tools to do otherwise. Ideal? Certainly not - but I'd rather lose material from overspray than deal with bubbles from using a roller. Yecch!

Popbumper

----------------

Thank you much for READING my words and for the INTELLIGENT responses. 2.gif

Regards,

Analogman

Any suggestions on techniques to achieve "spray gun" finish using a brush?

(paint types, brushes, primers, sanding, etc.).

I have a nice old desk that was chemically "dip stripped" years ago. It's residing in a room on

the second floor, too heavy to move. I do not want to spray it in the room either, I'll end up getting more paint on the walls and floor than the desk.

I'm not looking for a quick way either, I'm patient.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 8:14:44 PM John Warren wrote:

Any suggestions on techniques to achieve "spray gun" finish using a brush?

(paint types, brushes, primers, sanding, etc.).

I have a nice old desk that was chemically "dip stripped" years ago. It's residing in a room on

the second floor, too heavy to move. I do not want to spray it in the room either, I'll end up getting more paint on the walls and floor than the desk.

I'm not looking for a quick way either, I'm patient.

----------------

What's it made of. I'm sure if I make a suggestion you'll get plenty of advice! 2.gif2.gif

Regards,

Analogman