How to become a home theater installer?????

StLouisVegan

Go to a store that does Home Installation, apply for a job. You'll probably be installing a lot of satellite dishes to start off, until you get some more experience. Might not be the most exciting job at first, but as you get more experience, you can get into a lot more custom installs, and high end stuff. Hard to get into custom stuff without REAL experience. That means hooking up your own system, or your dad's system, don't count (it will probably help you get an entry level position, though.) Bear in mind, you probably won't be getting paid by the hour, probably strictly commission, so it might be a little lean at first. If you stick with it, though, it can be very good money.

You're definitely going to need to know basic electrical to be able to handle most jobs. It's not as simple as just setting up speakers, dialing in the receiver, and firing up the system. Most jobs will find you coming in before the walls are up to rough-wire not just the theater room, but in all likelihood the entire house for audio, plus (if you want to make any kind of consistent money) running Cat-5 for networking throughout the house.

You'll need blueprint reading skills, because you're going to have to work with the general contractor on a plan for the wiring you install, to make certain it doesn't interfere with the rest of the wiring being laid (phone, cable, electrical)

I guess I was lucky in that respect - I learned all that stuff when I was a kid, long before I ever got involved with HT. It's really paid off for me since then, though.