Test Equipment Recs..?

Joe Auwen

I have tried to recreate the bench I had as a high school student working part time at a radio/TV repair shop in the late 50's. I had learned my trade looking over the shoulder of my dad who was a ham (W5ESA). The following list is an improvement over what I had, but essentially the same instruments. In addition to the usual VTVM's, variacs, etc.:

Heathkit IG5218 Sine/Square audio generator.

Heathkit ID21 Scope.

Heathkit ID12 Signal Tracer.

B&K 700 Tube Tester.

I recently lost a bid on EBAY for a Tectronics harmonic analyzer.

I am looking for a Heathkit harmonic distortion meter.

I am a retired priest. I was PWK's priest in Hope, Arkansas. I am presently trying to remember everything I knew about electronics a half-century ago! Believe it or not, it is like riding a bicycle!

My greatest disappoinment is the crummy parts, especially tubes, that we have to deal with. What will we do when all the NOS stuff is gone?!

But, good for you. You will have the time of your life and untold satisfaction. And a few moments that you will want to burn your shop down!

DR BILL

I will take an unfavored position here. That is, old used test equipment can be a headache. You sometimes wind up having to troubleshoot the test equipment before doing any work. And then there is always a doubt. "User repairable" is typically a vast overstatement.

One advice from a ham magazine was to not get too emotionally involved with old rigs. The new stuff does work better. In that setting, even if you want a Collins KWM-2 (Dr. Bill's dad would know) the new SS stuff from the orient does work better and may cost less. Same with complex test equipment. Of course if it does give you satisfaction . . . DO IT. But there is a cost.

I'd highly suggest the Wavetek 27XT hand held multimeter as a start. I have one. It cost about $120. In addition to all the typical functions it will measure L and C, plus frequency. Very good for working on crossovers. There is an argument that the values of L and C are only measured at one frequency and you're not getting the whole story. None the less you can determine the value of that unlabled component.

Even when you expand the collection (old, current, used, or new) a good hand held will always come in handy.

You'll need a function generator. This may be an exception to the "don't buy old equipment. They are so simple that they either work, or don't.

Best,

Gil