Quintets or Pro-media 5.1's

answerman

I am considering purchasing a 5-6 speaker system for my home theater. I have a Yamaha DSP-A2070 amp that can drive 8 speakers (2-Main, 2-Front, 2-Rear, 1-Center, 1-Sub) it is an older system but it sure has a lot of power and features. I am currently using some older Cerwin Vega D-9's (4-way w/15inch subs) as my main speakers and would like to add a 5 or 6 speaker system to top it off. My dilema is that the pro-media 5.1 system eventhough is made for a computer comes with a sub and the satellites that come with the 5.1's appear to be identical to the ones that come with the Quintet system. My questions are:

Are the satellites for the pro-audio and the quintet system essentially same?

Is the center speaker that comes with the quintet system better than the one that comes with the 5.1's?

Why are the 5.1's THX certified and the Quintets are not?

I get a set of quintets (4 satellites + 1 center) for $323 plus shipping so depending on how you answer my questions I am thinking that since the 5.1'a throw in a sub it might be the better deal at $399. Please advise.

Thank you

The quintets and the promedias are different (correct me if I'm wrong). From what I've heard the quintets have a fuller/richer sound.

As far as the THX certified stuff... There are different levels/classes of certification. The promedias have a computer speaker version. It is not the same as a regular THX or THX Ultra. I'm pretty sure that the difference between the different levels of certification have to do with how strict the requirements are (AKA THX Ultra requires a lot more than the THX computer requirements)

From what I've read you would still want to go with the quintets. (If I'm wrong please correct me.)

They are not the same speakers. To me the Quintets are of higher quality. The do weigh much more than the 5.1 sats. The price for the 5.1's is right but if you were once considering the Quiintets, I would get the Synergy 6 System. It costs 999 bucks, nealrly the same as the Quintets with the KSW-10.

Since you allready ahve a receiver you should take advantage with getting a system without it's own pre-amp. That way you can update the speakers more easily. I am aware taht you do not have to use them through teh sub for amplification but it seems that they work best when thay are used together like Klipsch wanted them to be.

The reason that the Quintets are not THX certified is because they are not Mulitmedia speakers. The standards are not the same. go to THX.com for more info on that.

In the end, I think you should fork over the little bit more money for the Synergy 6 System. If you can not afford that then go for the ProMedia's cause if you can not afford the Sysnergy 6 youprobably can not afford the 100 difference Quintets.

The ProMedia 5.1's are amazing speakers. Especially teh sub, 200 watts going down to 24 Hz. That is lower than some really expensive ones. Like the Aperion Audio 150 watt powered Sub. It has an 8 inch driver and two 8 inch passive radiaters. This "bad boy" goes down to a whopping 35 heartz, 10 hertz above the ProMedia 200 watt sub. Oh, and guess what this guy sells for at retail stores... $387! That is outrageus considering what the ProMedia's, any model will out perform this, has to offer.

Bottom line ________ Get the Synergy 6 or if not that the ProMedia 5.1's.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or Instant Message Amy and if all else fails, pick up that phone and call right now Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

hmmmm. i did not see how cheap you could get the quintets... i will still go for the Synergy 6 and the Pro's cause they ahve a sub with them.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or Instant Message Amy and if all else fails, pick up that phone and call right now Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site !

I beat DBvader to 600 posts!